project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How to access package contents.  (Read 3888 times)

Offline lostsoundz

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
How to access package contents.
« on: October 01, 2016, 06:34:11 pm »
Hi i have downloaded the game now successfully using one of the builds kindly attached to the posts above.
But what i would like to do is strip out the music and sound and use my own(its for a student project)
So i have the data files(from a separate download) where i can see the music and sound but they are attached to the data file which i couldn't manage to install/play the game.
I sort of have all the parts but can't put them together so is there a way i can access this file for the package contents?
   ufoai-2.5-dev-macosx-intel.dmg thats what i downloaded and it gives the game but i can't seem to get at the files?
Apologies if this is simple I'm a new user and a bit green.
Thanks for any assistance.
p.s. this is on a mac

Lostsoundz
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 11:53:02 pm by lostsoundz »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: How to install game
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 07:30:46 pm »
Hi i have downloaded the game and unzipped most of the files but i don't know what to do to install it?
I can find and install file please help!
Ive just read some of the other posts and maybe I'm missing the point but can you not just run the game without compiling/installing source code etc?
Im just looking for an exe file really and to know if its in the source or data packages as i have downloaded both.

Thanks

For Windows operating system we provide a simple installer which is actually an EXE that you can run, see: http://ufoai.org/wiki/Download

-geever

Offline lostsoundz

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 09:32:07 pm »
Hi thanks for replying but I'm trying to install/play the game on a Mac

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 08:06:08 pm »
Hi thanks for replying but I'm trying to install/play the game on a Mac

I see, you wrote that you're looking for an EXE, that's why I assumed that you use Windows....

I don't own a Mac neither familiar with OSX so I cannot help, sorry.

-geever

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: How to access package contents.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 10:30:47 pm »
Well I don't have a Mac either, but I can tell you this: The .dmg  file you downloaded is a Disk iMaGe which you should be able to mount somehow to access its contents, inside there's a directory with the game and all its data (I extracted ufoai-2.5-dev-macosx-intel.dmg here, so I can confirm it's all in there)

Here, have some quick google search results to help you out:
http://www.howtogeek.com/177619/how-to-install-applications-on-a-mac-everything-you-need-to-know/
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/where-are-the-program-files-located.114107/

Offline ashtiboy

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: How to access package contents.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 11:36:28 pm »
to run ufo al on mac os x builds for dummys

1. on mac dubole click the dmg file that was downloaded untill it's mounted.  2. look for a white harddrve icon that has name dmg file name.  3. doble cliick on that then a window will pop up that has the game in it. 4. click drag game app into the applcation folder. 5. eject mounted dmg. 6. doble click on the game app in appcation folder to run.

i'm just woundering why are you tryng to run the game in a dmg mounted disk its techaly like runng a program on a read only thumb drive it wont work