project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Game overwriting mods (FIXED)  (Read 4770 times)

Offline yobeefjerky

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Game overwriting mods (FIXED)
« on: June 24, 2016, 10:02:39 am »
so i have just recently found this game, and its awesome, but just one thing annoys me, even though i have followed literally every tutorial for modding this game, my changes are overwritten the next time i start up the game,

oh and before i forget, im trying to change the campaign to start off with more money, and make bases cost less to start (lets be honest, you pay 100k for a door)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 09:06:55 am by yobeefjerky »

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Game overwriting mods
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 06:12:11 pm »
What version are you using? Your system? Where did you place your mod?

In recent windows versions won't allow you to modify files within system directories (like "program files"), even if it seems to succeed at first, the file will be virtualized and your changes will be stored to a user specific location.

Offline yobeefjerky

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Game overwriting mods
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 09:06:30 am »
What version are you using? Your system? Where did you place your mod?

In recent windows versions won't allow you to modify files within system directories (like "program files"), even if it seems to succeed at first, the file will be virtualized and your changes will be stored to a user specific location.

Fixed it, what i did was move the original 0ufos.pk3 (now 0ufos.zip) and renamed it to cookies (idk why either) i then moved my modded ufos.zip into the games /base folder and unzipped it, for some reason this works, i assume its because the game cannot find the actual original and thinks my file is the original folder, so it just loads mine instead of the original (i forgot to mention that i moved the renamed original to my desktop)

TL;DR
Step by step

1. rename 0ufos.pk3 (or .zip)
2. move the renamed folder to the desktop (or delete if you so wish)
3. move your modded 0ufospk3 (or .zip) to the games /base folder.
4. unzip your modded folder.
5. ???
6. PROFIT!

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Game overwriting mods (FIXED)
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 02:25:21 am »
Actually the right steps are:

1. Extract only the files you need to mod from the .pk3 (in your case "basemanagement.ufo" and "campaign.ufo" from "0ufos.pk3")
2. Create appropriate directory in the base directory (in your case "<game dir>/base/ufos")
3. Put your modded files in the directory you just created
4. Done