project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFOradiant  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Strzelec

• Rookie
    • View Profile
UFOradiant
« on: May 18, 2016, 07:56:56 am »
Hi, I want to create a map but for an unknown reason the map editor doesn't open. It only changes the color settings for my windows 7 (I receive information that it is necessary for running the program and this will be returned to normal when the program stops working) and nothing happens. Please help.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: UFOradiant
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 06:00:24 pm »
Radiant has been said to not work on windows.

This is a common problem among projects that target multiple platforms. The lesser used aspects (tools etc) don't work well or not at all on the lesser used operating systems (in development), so I consider it likely that the above is actually true. Fixing it probably requires a dev on the respective platform debugging the tool.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:02:27 pm by anonymissimus »

Offline Strzelec

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 07:37:09 pm »
So what if I really want to create a map?... At least try?...

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 10:50:26 pm »
The easiest probably is to install a Linux dual boot and get or compile and execute radiant there.

Or set up a development environment for UFO:AI (or rather, radiant) on windows and try to fix it yourself.

Of course, it might just happen that that binary that's provided for download works on win xp but not 7, or that something like "execute in compatibility mode for xp" does the trick, as the system that's used to build those executables  very likely is xp.
It might also help to try to get some info out of the program about why it doesn't work, such as a backtrace (does it crash ?) or debug messages. In some programs those can be activated without needing to compile it.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 01:14:13 am »
So, I tried radiant on windows (xp) for the first time. I took the version from the "Map Editor" section from here http://ufoai.org/wiki/Download
While there are a few problems, it seems to work in principle - I can view the maps.
If you get messages about adjusting colours, then this maybe suggests that the problem could be some graphics card or driver issue. That's usually the case if some program refuses to even open up at all like that.

No need for feeling too sad...I know the editors of a few other games, and radiant is hideously complicated in comparison to those.