project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Cannon fodder  (Read 19886 times)

Offline Norby

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Cannon fodder
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 07:10:36 pm »
Look this table for weapon damages, the "Medium Alien Armour average damage" column show which ones are useless against armored Tamans and Ortnoks.

Offline kingchaos

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 07:26:09 pm »
my excel imports half the data into "date" formatted cells. ^^

please explain the numbers of whom u r talking.

Offline Norby

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 07:49:08 pm »
I mean the row "Machine Gun" with "Machine Gun Magazine" (not EP) contain 0.0 in the "Medium Armour" column. In short weapons below 60 damage/shot are useless, except needlers.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 06:16:39 pm »
i playing the very hard mode and til mission 39 it was not so difficult. i made 38 missions (48 sightings) without any loss and FULL encumbered (-12 TU).
Can you capture and provide some screen videos of how you are playing these missions please ? I don't want to miss a chance to improve my tactics. :P

Offline kingchaos

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 08:22:23 pm »
For sure.

In General i Use murphys law, to anticipate what not should happen, and then i prepare for this worst case.

I am playing on pc since 1989, and I allways tried to push the Handicap to a maximum. The training effect is extreme high. ;)

But for this game u need some shooter experience.

Hide in the fog, but do never give them a Chance to Enter the fog alive.

Alllways Scout with the soldiers from the lines behind. Then u have more tu for the good Placed soldiers in your Front line. Do never Use your last soldier with tu for a shot u must hit. Allways have 1 in petto for such an incident, you cant predict.

I am a Fan of goldratt, and like this "theory of constraints " i play all games. A chain is not Stronger than its weakest link. So push all ranks in the Same Speed. Even try to Split the kills fair between
 All soldiers. Then you will reach low losses.

Grenades and gren.launcher are my Favorite weapons.

Try to lure aliens out of their save places while using max.hitpoints soldier out of the fog where He can only be sighted From a small angle.

When u got major+ ranks Use the Reaktion fire with heavy neddlers while crouched down with 2 or 3 soldier/camper. But do never Place such a Camper in a place, where an Incoming alien can shoot you without entering a place where He is seen From all the Campers u placed.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:33:16 pm by kingchaos »

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 07:21:49 pm »
I'd like you to try 2.6, with its insane damage scaling, and suffocation forcing you to leave the smoke.

Offline Damyen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 03:14:34 pm »
I'd like you to try 2.6, with its insane damage scaling, and suffocation forcing you to leave the smoke.
Same :) I find the v2.6, very hard settings, more difficult. You can keep losses very low, but must alway stay alert.

Offline kingchaos

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 07:45:26 pm »
Now I restarted the 2.5 very hard campaign using pistols and flashbangs only. With heavy weapons and assault Rifles it was more difficult. The Speed they gain skillpoints is incredible. But i refused my original plan to Use the Standard pistol. IT was too Hard ^^ 20 hits per kill is good for skillpoints but Takes hours. ^^

Offline Norby

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 11:28:51 pm »
20 hits per kill is good for skillpoints but Takes hours.
Furthermore any hits over 4 using the same skill and solider are worhless. As you can see in this table: 680/180=3.78 so the 4. hit worth a bit less than the first 3, others worth nothing.

Offline kingchaos

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 07:50:54 pm »
5 soldiers did 4 Hits each. Same result??

Offline kingchaos

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 07:55:40 pm »
I only try to get fast good soldiers sap. I play ed all missions encumbered, i hope i am on the right way.

Offline Norby

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 10:36:02 am »
5 soldiers did 4 Hits each
This is the optimal team training, yes. Less thrill but more improvement. :)

Of course you are free to stop after a few soliders, eliminate the target with main weapon and continue the training later on another target for more fun. I use this way in open maps where many easy target is expected.

In buildings I need infra scan all around to make sure there is no other enemy near before I consider a target to easy for training, so I like to complete the full training right on the first outside target, mostly in the first turn, before I must enter into the risky close combat area.

Sometimes there is no easy target, in this case you can skip the whole training and do a full hardcore mission. Safety first. :) If you do training less often then the slowdown will be more acceptable.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:50:21 am by Norby »

Offline kingchaos

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2017, 08:17:20 pm »
I planned to do this until its not more possible. No gren no main weapon and encumbered.  This improves my infight skills.

Thx for this input

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2017, 09:57:23 pm »
Can you train soldiers to strengths way over 60 ? :P

I do explicit training only in really safe situations. For instance, if there was a crashed fighter, 5 aliens killed and one flashbanged, then everyone picks up as much as possible, and killing the alien is delayed for as long as possible.

Offline Adler

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2017, 11:37:05 am »
It should be possible to get way over 60 strength. In my actulal game i have one soldier with strength 61 (56 missions). All i do is always put weight to exactly 50% before each mission. That's why i have so much grenade launcher ammunition in stock.  ;D