project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: The green earth-help  (Read 3262 times)

Offline frumius

• Rookie
    • View Profile
The green earth-help
« on: February 29, 2016, 05:25:09 pm »
Sometimes when I begin play and load a saved game the whole earth is green. No continents just place names. I can't get rid of it except to reload again and again. Sometimes when playing i have seen a new button appear labeled xvi map. That button is not always present and sometimes when clicked it turns earth green sometimes not.  I just escaped out of the game because I couldn't get rid of the green and there was no xvi button either. I assume the xvi feature is not implemented yet but it is messing things up I think,no?
   Update: My game is dead. All saved games are green. Multiple reloads do not help. I even rebooted my computer.  Is this BIG,BIG BUG?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 06:03:32 pm by frumius »

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The green earth-help
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 07:00:33 pm »
Sounds like one of the bugs mentioned here http://ufoai.org/forum/index.php/topic,8722.msg62922.html. There is a workaround.
Note that the fix may still not be in your version of 2.5 or not in 2.5 at all. It does not happen in 2.6.

Offline frumius

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 08:24:14 pm »
Thank you Anonymissus. I tried your work around but it didn't work. I will keep trying. I don't want to start over.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 05:49:56 am »
Workaround: open the console (shift+esc) and type "map_overlay xvi" (without quotes) the press enter

Offline frumius

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 05:13:53 pm »
Workaround: open the console (shift+esc) and type "map_overlay xvi" (without quotes) the press enter
                                                                                                                                 This doesn't seem to do anything. The work around suggested by Annymissimus does work after several tries, however it now takes a full 2 minutes to load a saved game so this method takes a  long time. I've tried to reduce the loading time by dropping all settings to a minimum and even the resolution to 800x600 but this just makes the print impossible to read. Even at high resolutions the print is very faded. I know this has been mentioned before. Using the workaround  it can take 15-20 minutes to enable me to start playing. I have just gotten to some interesting things to research too so I hate to give it up.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 06:47:34 pm »
Weird it used to work... what about changing the cvar directly? type in the console "set cl_geoscape_overlay 0" instead. Warning: radar and nations buttons might not work as expected afterwards, I think

Regarding saved game load times, it's been related to the number of characters on the employee screens (both employed and unemployed) reducing their number (most often by removing undesired characters — example: extra pilots that will never be hired) usually helps — changing the settings won't help with that

If you want to try reducing the character count you can do it by right-clicking on the check box of any character in the employee screen (the one used to hire/fire an employee) Warning: The character will be instantly removed without confirmation and it will be gone for good.

Offline frumius

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 02:02:10 am »
Weird it used to work... what about changing the cvar directly? type in the console "set cl_geoscape_overlay 0" instead. Warning: radar and nations buttons might not work as expected afterwards, I think

Regarding saved game load times, it's been related to the number of characters on the employee screens (both employed and unemployed) reducing their number (most often by removing undesired characters — example: extra pilots that will never be hired) usually helps — changing the settings won't help with that

If you want to try reducing the character count you can do it by right-clicking on the check box of any character in the employee screen (the one used to hire/fire an employee) Warning: The character will be instantly removed without confirmation and it will be gone for good.
                                                                                                                            Thank you, changing cvar worked and the buttons also still work. I eliminated about a hundred pilots and others and now my loading time is down to 1 minute. I could remove some soldiers too but I don't feel like checking each soldier's attributes so I can remove the worst ones.  Why would anyone ever need all those pilots, every one is the same? And who thought up all those names? LOL ;D