project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Detecting missions out of radar range  (Read 5623 times)

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Detecting missions out of radar range
« on: February 27, 2016, 04:23:14 pm »
I just had a case of an undetected scout landed in the middle eastern alliance. It's pretty weird it managed to slip through my radar, as I got bases in Europe, South Africa and Asian Republic and a few towers near the Indian Ocean. When I noticed there must be an undetected mission, since happiness was going down, I launched ships trying to get the mission. I must have flown at least twice over the spot, to no avail. The location must have been somewhere on the Southern Coast of the Arabic Peninsula, where I only have the outer radar. I can conclude this from the course the scout hat once it launched again and entered my radar afterwards.
Was anyone ever successful in detecting missions outside of radar range with ships, without the flying UFO being previously visible ?
If this is no game feature then it probably should be.
I also had one interesting case of a mission which appeared right in the moment the advanced radar was finished, it was located in the area now covered by the inner radar, but only by the outer previously. I know that the mission had been present previously as happiness went down. This suggests that base inner radar works differently than a ship's inner radar, which is weird.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Detecting missions out of radar range
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 06:30:30 am »
I think this was discussed not so long ago, but I can't remember the details (and I'm not that familiar with campaign mechanics as I deal mostly with battlescape), anyway I wouldn't be surprised if they indeed work differently.

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 11:31:17 am »
Some terror mission can be pop up far away from your radar detection.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 03:47:07 pm »
Some terror mission can be pop up far away from your radar detection.
I suspect they don't always do that though. Sometimes happiness goes down for an awkward 15-20% just for an apparently single undetected mission, while other unflown or undetected missions reduce it by only 4-6%. (If a nation's current funding, which is always displayed in statistics, is divided by its max funding, it returns that nation's current exact happiness, ranging from 0 to 1 or 0% to 100%.) This usually happens with some not yet covered nations and reduces happiness for many months.

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 03:04:43 pm »
But i think terror mission are those from harvesters so maybe there is some chance to see them. Maybe only if you track harvester but not see it actually land. Also I think i saw that mission in 2.5 cant say if i saw it in 2.6.

I think getting mission outside your radar would be great for start of the game. Something like nation asks you for help.

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 10:50:52 am »
Terror missions should always be displayed whatever the radar coverage.
Firstly, their non-handling would be very punishing, as I figure;
Secondly, as said above, the concerned Nation should ask for help, because they occur in densely populated area, most of the case.
I believe it's already the case btw.

Other missions are fine being not detected when outside of radar range, imo.