project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: radar coverage  (Read 2264 times)

Offline frumius

• Rookie
    • View Profile
radar coverage
« on: January 27, 2016, 04:52:49 pm »
I just put my first base down and came up with 2 questions that I couldn't find answers for here or in manual.  First: When I turn on radar for the base there are 2 circles shown.  The smaller is the detection range I guess, but what is the bigger one? Second: I know that the nations approval goes up as the radar coverage goes up but how much of each nation has to be covered by radar to make a difference? Right now my base is located in northern Africa. The radar covers about one third of Europe, one third of Africa, and one third of the Mideastern nation, whatever it is called. Will this have an effect on all three or does the coverage need to be 100%.  Using version 2.5. Also i noticed that there is a button on the options menu for "activate mod". Where can I find out about this mod? Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:28:12 pm by frumius »

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: radar coverage
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 01:15:18 pm »
To detect an UFO initially, it needs to enter an inner radar circle. To stay tracked, it must not leave the outer.

Nation happiness has no direct relation to radar coverage. It instead is related to missions. If a mission is spawned outside of radar coverage, it will not be noticed by the player and that nation's happiness will go down at every midnight for as long as the mission is still there (2-3 times). To notice UFO-spawned missions that UFO needs to be tracked by radar while it is shot down or lands. This radar can be a ship -  to extend radar coverage somewhat, UFOs leaving the fixed radar coverage can be followed with ships. So, for your base to have an effect, you need to be lucky that the UFO initially flies through your radar and is still tracked when it lands. Or shoot it down while you can, so that it cannot land somewhere where you don't have radar. Sure, often you will be unlucky - if your base is in Europe, missions spawn in America, if it's in America, missions spawn in China and so on.

I'm not sure about ground-based missions, the ones appearing without and UFO -  is it enough to cover with outer radar to detect them ?

Due to the above, I'm building my bases in a way that the outer radar coverage is optimized so I don't lose track of UFOs that have been detected once, instead of building them in the middle of nations. This e.g. means putting one onto Hawaii to make the south pacific radar gap small, albeit it covers almost only water.

Offline frumius

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: radar coverage
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 09:39:36 pm »
Thank you, I see that I misunderstood some of those posts I read here. About the mod: I guess I should post again since that is a different subject.  I do not know what the protocol is here.