Personal tools

Poll

Tazer pistol?

Pleeeeeease!
2 (50%)
No.
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Tazer Pistol  (Read 3942 times)

Offline GhavGrim

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Tazer Pistol
« on: January 22, 2016, 09:31:36 pm »
As fun as it is to shock aliens with the Electro Laser, it is quite .... big.
I pack them when I am trying to round up captives, but don't have room to take it otherwise.

I often find myself in a close encounter with a citizen standing right in the way.
It's round about then that I wish I had a pistol version of the Electro Laser, that I could whip out to Tazer the inconvenient sonambulist into safe, warm unconsciousness.

Could we get a powered down, pistol version of the Electro Laser, please?
Primarily for civilian crowd control...

Offline TBeholder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Tazer Pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 01:03:21 am »
Sure, dubious penetration and less damage than from Stun Rod is a reasonable trade-off for ability to make a short-ranged attack rather than just melee. I won't try it with an armored alien who is likely to stay up and retaliate, but it adds options like shooting through windows.
Also, there was some sort of shotgun tazer "bullet"... also why not - less precise than a normal slug and a little slower to fire (cycling the shotgun manually).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 01:06:06 am by TBeholder »

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 06:56:21 pm »
You do realize that you aren't supposed to be shooting innocent bystanders, right?

Offline Seerorin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 11:00:00 pm »
You should note that when police act in high tensity situation they subdue everyone most of the time. Not like in movies. Cause they can hurt themselves move where they shouldn't etc...

Offline TBeholder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 03:57:18 pm »
You do realize that you aren't supposed to be shooting innocent bystanders, right?
Heh, yeah, that too. Preventing civilians from running into incendiary puddles or needlegun arcs of fire.
Maybe there should be a minor penalty for this, why not (stunned < injured < dead).

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 10:22:10 pm »
You should note that when police act in high tensity situation they subdue everyone most of the time. Not like in movies. Cause they can hurt themselves move where they shouldn't etc...
As a law abiding citizen, I've never been involved in such a situation, you know, how would I know that :P

Jokes aside, story-wise I don't know about an electro laser pistol (at least a DF powered one), the lore presents the laser pistol as a difficult achievement for the science team, while on the other hand the electro laser is that heavy for a reason it need more powerful systems (I'm not a physicist, but I assume the ionising laser pulse doesn't require much more energy than the standard issue laser, the problem, I think is the actual electric discharge) so if the standard issue laser pistol was such a struggle it seems like a electro laser pistol would be a no-go.
Which leaves us with a purpose built "crowd control weapon" which doesn't seem something an UN sponsored PHALANX would be developing or the pre-invasion, low-power, one-shot models implied to exist in the electro laser research report

Aside that there's the ever present problem in this project: we lack artists, there's no one to come up with the required models, effects and such assets.

But sure, someone bring a good artist and writer to make the needed assets and write the tech reports —including a reasonable explanation for PHALANX researching/adopting this weapon — and we'll see what we can do :D (as long as all those assets and lore are open source licensed of course)

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 12:17:53 am »
well you can always use gas granades on civilians to stun them. last time i play it worked.