project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New Heracles  (Read 6552 times)

Offline aa_

• Rookie
    • View Profile
New Heracles
« on: December 23, 2015, 07:45:46 pm »
 I think that currently of all craft, Heracles is the one that is the least pretty, aerodynamic etc....

I sujjest a new model. Below is a rought 3D sketch of what it will look like. I would like to see opninion. To make or not to make.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New Heracles
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 09:30:06 am »
The model looks nice. However, there are not intentions to replace the Herakles transporter right now. Adding some sliding doors to the pod would be nice, though.

What we are indeed looking for is a replacement for the Raptor. But this is built using alien components and thus should look - well, more 'alien'. Also, the size of any replacement or new dropship model (used within the maps) has to be equal the Herakles' pod or Firebird.

Furthermore, the cargo bay needs to have more than one entrance/exit for the soldiers. The Firebird did this well, the Herakles pod is just a freaking trap (thus needs some additional doors).

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 09:37:11 am by ShipIt »

Offline aa_

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 10:30:43 am »
I have accidentally uploaded two same images instead of another one. That one explained it a bit more better.

This dropship is designed with 3 doors, one large back ramp and 2 smaller ones on side, i have considered the trap issue, having been in it multiple times. The side doors are 2 tiles wide, located in between the two engines. The doors open up to form 2 shield that soldiers can hide behind.

So you would prefer to have a new raptor instead though?
When you say
But this is built using alien components and thus should look - well, more 'alien'.
do you refer to Hercules or Raptor? Raptor looks alien enough i think, so you probably want a replacement for it due to the battle scape model providing no cover to soldiers. Hercules does look like a human brick with engines and a truck stuck on top of it. I could scale and adjust my model and remake it into Raptor.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 10:39:13 am by aa_ »

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 03:20:22 pm »
the battle scape model providing no cover to soldiers.
This cover is totally useless. It forces the player to waste the first turn for moving out of the ship instead of killing several aliens.
The raptor however, is by far the best dropship, since it allows to immediately see and kill several aliens on the first turn. Even if that means I get reaction-shot immediately. This is so important that most of the time I cannot use Herakles if the dropship is on the map on that map but instead have to use firebird. The firebird is a compromise between speed and cover; 4 soldiers less is most of the time a cheap price for being able to shoot on the first turn.
The ideal dropship is not on the map at all, so cannot block anything. Soldiers are scattered somewhat, looking into various directions, getting an immediate overview of alien positions. This implies throwing a smoke grenade as the very first action. Out of the 3 available options, the current raptor is thus best, herakles worst.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 01:17:46 pm »
A replacement for the Raptor would be welcome, if it meets the requirements - space for ten soldiers and one 2x2 unit, 'alien' appearence, at least two doors, needs to fit within a 3x2 tiles map,  a corresponding low-poy-geoscape model, maybe I forgot something.

Offline aa_

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 05:21:33 pm »
I have heard about dropships craft needing to fit in 2x1 tile, but 3x2 does provide more freedom. How much exactly is 1 tile in terms of QU?

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 05:41:03 pm »
A tile is 8x8 cells, so 256x256 units.

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 08:56:31 pm »
I think that currently of all craft, Heracles is the one that is the least pretty, aerodynamic etc....
Not to praising the aerodynamics nor the aesthetics of the Heracles, but it was said that the cargo pod which is used on the model on your picture is "backside forwards". At least, the windscreen should correctly stand on the bow now.  :)

About the non wanted replacement of the Heracles model,  is it because the designers wish to oppose its welcomed load capacity (at some point in the campaign) to the tactical deployment flexibility the Firebird somewhat displays, thus delaying its obsolescence a little?

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 06:31:28 am »
About the non wanted replacement of the Heracles model,  is it because the designers ...

There are no intentions to replace the Herakles, simply because there is no reason to. Oc if somebody sends a patch with something that is better than what we have now, this is a different story. Lots of work, though.

... oppose its welcomed load capacity (at some point in the campaign) to the tactical deployment flexibility the Firebird somewhat displays, thus delaying its obsolescence a little?

None of the dropships should get obsolete at any point, as every single one shoud have advantages and disadvantages. However, the Herakles will be available for research at the beginning of the campaign, as soon as somebody manages to give him additional doors.