project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Throughwall  (Read 3624 times)

Offline Pharaufein

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Throughwall
« on: November 23, 2015, 11:13:14 am »
So how does the throughwall attribute of the sniper rifles exactly work?

I tried to use the sniper rifle and EM rifle against aliens behind a single wall and it sometimes worked and sometimes did not.
So what determines if a sniper shot can penetrate a wall and by how much is the damage reduced?

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Throughwall
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 03:27:55 pm »
It seems you have to check it out and get to know the maps (shootable/unshootable walls). See also http://ufoai.org/forum/index.php/topic,7617.msg63922.html#msg63922

Offline Pharaufein

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 06:29:42 pm »
Thanks, I somehow missed that existing topic when searching the forum.

Offline aa_

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 01:26:17 pm »
I think it might Be a good idea to indicate if you can shoot through something while aiming, gir example by turning the aim line yellow.

Offline Pharaufein

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 11:07:17 am »
That would be a nice feature indeed. Happened to me several times that I tried to shoot through something and it just did not work.

Offline frumius

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 05:49:26 pm »
I think it might Be a good idea to indicate if you can shoot through something while aiming, gir example by turning the aim line yellow.
Yes that would be a great feature. The player definitely needs more information in this game. I usually don't even try to shoot through walls any more. It's better to use your tu's to move or hide than to end up like a sitting duck when the alien next turn moves one step to the window and kills you. Of course if there is no cover, as usual, you have to use the ultimate weapon---SMOKE!!! You can forget to take your boots or your breeches but better not forget the full load of smoke.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 11:31:03 pm »
If there's a good chance an alien is at a certain position, it's often better to try even a "blind" shot onto that position instead of trying to hit some alien that is farther away and/or crouching or more difficult to hit otherwise. The throughwall shot will do some damage at high chance, which is always better than doing more damage at lower chance.
I just had such a case on "Rural village" (train station); I saw the alien move inside of the train wagon at the end of its last turn and there was only 1 possible field where it could have been albeit I didn't see it. No need for IR glasses in such a case even, when they emit their "getting hit" sound it's clear something was hit.