project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Attack which UFO with what ?  (Read 16659 times)

Offline TBeholder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Attack which UFO with what ?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 03:57:06 am »
I just try to lure through SAM sites any UFO that acts aggressively (turns to intercept). If it somehow survives, turn and attack it - preferably on the far edge of the last AA circle, so it could squeeze a few more shots.

Offline Pharaufein

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 12:38:14 pm »
Luring through SAM sites seems like a decent strategy, but I guess you need at least one on every continent to be able to do so.
I never build any SAM sites because the number of installations is too limited.
Building radar towers to get better coverage is much more important imo.

Of course more bases allow for more installations, but building and maintaining them is way too expensive.
And if you have them, you can as well use them to host more interceptions which are much more versatile, instead of building more SAM sites.

By the way, why are there not laser sites as soon as the laser defense turret is researched?

EDIT: And why is the number of installations limited? I assume it is to prevent too cheap radar coverage?
But then it would be sufficient to limit the number of radar towers.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:40:09 pm by Pharaufein »

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 12:28:58 am »
Luring through SAM sites seems like a decent strategy, but I guess you need at least one on every continent to be able to do so.
1 in North America and 1 in Europe are sufficient. A third one in East Asia perhaps. And you need an interceptor there as well for luring, and be prepared for attacks onto such bases. You can take down gunboats safely as well, which is important, since they will destroy the dropships otherwise.

I never build any SAM sites because the number of installations is too limited.
Building radar towers to get better coverage is much more important imo.
It safes a field in the base which the base-hosted rockets would consume though. (I build them onto the same spots as the main bases.)

Offline Pharaufein

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 08:22:02 pm »
I just checked the aircraftmanagement.ufo file states 7 as ammo for the sparrowhawk.
This is of course more than ever needed to down a fighter, so I never noticed the ammo limitation.

I tested setting the ammo to 3 and downing a fighter with a single stiletto suddenly was not guaranteed at all anymore.
If some missiles miss, the fighter might well survive the three salvos.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 11:03:30 pm »
I tried using this 2 stilettos with sparrowhawks (greater range than particle beam weapon) vs harvester exploit, but my impression is it is too dangerous and costly. It's also often not possible to reach a harvester flying by in time. 3 hangars are too expensive, strategies with only 1 stiletto + SAM site are too dangerous too. So I recommend to use the exploit only against fighters and use a second interceptor hangar for a saracen which can safely follow harvesters to see where they land, and potentially lure them safely to ground defenses.

Offline Pharaufein

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 02:57:03 pm »
I like the idea to have a saracen follow a harvester to not let it slip through the radars. But don't harvesters turn around to kill the saracen?

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 03:35:46 pm »
Sometimes they do. But saracens are faster than harvesters, so always can run away. When the distance to the harvester has become large enough, they give up (as for any UFO chasing a faster ship). By repeatedly holding position and moving, the harvester can be lured into ground defenses range.
Re on the sparrowhawk  exploit. I think a similar technique should be usable on starchaser vs gunboat. A gunboat has 3 particle beams in addition to 2 alien launchers. A starchaser can only be equipped with the 2 launchers, but she's faster than gunboats and by staying out of range of the particle beams, the weaponry can be made equal. Hitpoints and electronics are superior, so a won fight.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:41:50 pm by anonymissimus »

Offline Zverko

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 07:29:31 pm »
My two cents: I was able to take down Bombers and Gunboats with basic Starchaser luring them over the laser-defended base. The trick was to attack and, as soon as UFO makes a visible turn to fighter, land it. Usually the alien rockets just disappear (since the target is in the hangar), and starchaser's missiles hit the target. UFO also flies in the direction of the attack for a while, staying in the zone for lasers. Then as it starts on away-from-base course, attack it again. With proper micromanagement I think even single saracen with no weapons of note can down any ufo that way.

While that tactic allowed me to win, I think it should be fixed in the code. I would humbly suggest something like behaviour trigger for UFO: if hit points are below 50 percent - stop behaving aggressively and/or stay away from known bases/SAM sites.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2016, 01:38:21 pm »
While that tactic allowed me to win, I think it should be fixed in the code. I would humbly suggest something like behaviour trigger for UFO: if hit points are below 50 percent - stop behaving aggressively and/or stay away from known bases/SAM sites.
There was no way to take down anything stronger than a fighter for the longest part of the campaign then. I get the starchaser and thereby the ability to take on corrupters and gunboats without escaping into a base in about November or December. With gunboats cruising around uncalculatably missions cannot be flown to.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 03:18:41 am »
The long term goal is to completely overhaul the flight and interception systems, with things like aircraft (including UFOs) flying in formations and a more elaborate intercept system, with different aircraft behaviour (aggressiveness level, preferred range, disengaging, etc), which of course you can control in the case of your own interceptors...

Of course that needs someone to implement it first (any volunteers? :D ), meanwhile enjoy your tactics, tricks, exploits, cheats or whatever you want to call them.