project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Proximity Mines  (Read 2853 times)

Offline hoiba

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Proximity Mines
« on: October 20, 2015, 02:56:13 pm »
Hey there!

I've found some really old threads (2007-2009) about that stuff but they aren't implemented yet.... are the PMs still planned to be a part of the game someday?  :)

Hoiba

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Proximity Mines
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 08:12:15 pm »
I don't know, I'd figured that by 2080 something like the Ottawa Treaty would be enforced worldwide, but if someone can come with a reasonable explanation of why UN sponsored PHALANX would be allowed to deploy anti-personnel mines — within urban areas no less! — something like that could be implemented, assuming of course any technical issues can be solved...

Offline pete conway

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 10:16:55 pm »
Perhaps a timer could have been invented by then to render any APM's passive after a skirmish... they are/were useful though aren't/weren't they.
After a few civ casualties is a small price to pay to save the world... unless.

Offline hoiba

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 08:40:38 am »
HA!

http://ufoai.org/wiki/Manual/FAQ#Gameplay_for_veterans

Where are the proximity mines?

Not implemented yet (at version 2.3.x). [2] They will be implemented for sure.

::)

Offline TBeholder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 08:59:50 am »
I don't know, I'd figured that by 2080 something like the Ottawa Treaty would be enforced worldwide,
It will hold exactly as long as the movers and shakers are those who expect to invade other, rather than be invaded, and not a day longer, quite obviously. Realpolitik.
but if someone can come with a reasonable explanation of why UN sponsored PHALANX would be allowed to deploy anti-personnel mines
Some beasts are more equal..? ;)
  — within urban areas no less! — something like that could be implemented, assuming of course any technical issues can be solved...
Once it can be made to specifically affect aliens, why not.
There are lots of non-urban areas.
Also, this raises the question of remote-controlled devices - as previously discussed, even unarmed remote camera would be much more useful than a blind mine. Reasonable middle ground between mines and HWPs could be worth deploying.