project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: [Base map] A few suggestions  (Read 3919 times)

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
[Base map] A few suggestions
« on: September 22, 2015, 07:03:20 pm »
Hello,
After a few base defence missions, I've ended in spotting some little potential upgrades.

1/ Transport Hangar:

The tower safety cam is really, really in the mid of thin air. Although the other safety cams too are attached to nothing, this one could be perhaps moved toward the building a bit?

2/ Workshops:

Is there a mean to move this crate furniture, so that the three squares right to it (or at least the nearest one) are made walkable (or rather crouch-able), without loosing the corner square on the other side?

3/ Hospital:

The thin wall causes the beds to encroach on free squares, resulting in not necessary added UT cost. Any solution?

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: [Base map] A few suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 07:07:09 pm »
4/ Screen displays in Radar Room:

In the normal Radar Room, as well as in Command Center, there are vertical, flat monitors that display  an assault rifle data sheet (or worse!).

At least in the Radar Room, I'd rather have some UFO (fighter, harvester) infos.
(Moreover, there's maybe a glitch on one of the horizontal displays)

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 07:48:37 pm »
1/ Transport Hangar:

The tower safety cam is really, really in the mid of thin air. Although the other safety cams too are attached to nothing, this one could be perhaps moved toward the building a bit?

This is not a mapping issue. The camera model is always shown in the center of the cell, it is not possible to place it anywere else. See http://ufoai.org/bugs/ufoalieninvasion/issues/4873 and http://ufoai.org/wiki/Talk:Mapping/Entities/misc_camera.

2/ Workshops:

Is there a mean to move this crate furniture, so that the three squares right to it (or at least the nearest one) are made walkable (or rather crouch-able), without loosing the corner square on the other side?

I fixed this not long ago.

3/ Hospital:

The thin wall causes the beds to encroach on free squares, resulting in not necessary added UT cost. Any solution?

Fixed it. Thanks for reporting.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 08:52:58 pm »
4/ Screen displays in Radar Room:

In the normal Radar Room, as well as in Command Center, there are vertical, flat monitors that display  an assault rifle data sheet (or worse!).

At least in the Radar Room, I'd rather have some UFO (fighter, harvester) infos.
(Moreover, there's maybe a glitch on one of the horizontal displays)

I've replaced those in the radar rooms. No UFO pics, though.

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 10:42:40 pm »
This is not a mapping issue. The camera model is always shown in the center of the cell, it is not possible to place it anywere else. See http://ufoai.org/bugs/ufoalieninvasion/issues/4873 and http://ufoai.org/wiki/Talk:Mapping/Entities/misc_camera.
Yes, all the cams are positioned at the center of their square, and connected to nothing.
The problem I report is that one of them, one of the large hangar's cams, is not even in an adjacent square, hence floating one half square off the wall, it's one square further away from the tower.

A potential missing path in the Quarters
A box on the wall seem to prevent the use of one square in the Quarters' SW corner.
It's the entrance of the Hideout, isn't it?
Granted, it's not an important place, but who knows?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:49:27 pm by Rodmar »

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 01:18:45 am »
Yes, all the cams are positioned at the center of their square, and connected to nothing.
The problem I report is that one of them, one of the large hangar's cams, is not even in an adjacent square, hence floating one half square off the wall, it's one square further away from the tower.

Just believe me. Placing them in the next cell will make them moving right through solid concrete. It looks bad no matter what  :'(

A potential missing path in the Quarters
A box on the wall seem to prevent the use of one square in the Quarters' SW corner.
It's the entrance of the Hideout, isn't it?
Granted, it's not an important place, but who knows?

The culprint is the phone placed at the wall. I fixed some of those some time ago (including this one iirc), not sure if I got them all, though.

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 01:17:25 pm »
I play v2.5 and that may explains why the phone box still hampers movement.
And I believe you for the cams.

By the way, the new maps (as per v2.5) fit so well with the 2080s, as compared to some older maps, that the PHALANX Base map looks quite "obsolete" now. If the plans come from the late XXth century, the furnitures should be up to date.
For instance, we could have laptops or sensitive desks in the officers quarters (Quarters' 2nd floor), and in all the working stations. Also the large CRT TV in the Quarters should definitively be replaced. I hope you'll find time to have a pass before v2.6 is released.

Do you wish that we report any "anachronism" we spot on older maps (CRT TVs, XXth century cars, ...), or will you review them anyways in due time?

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 02:50:23 pm »
I play v2.5 and that may explains why the phone box still hampers movement.
And I believe you for the cams.

By the way, the new maps (as per v2.5) fit so well with the 2080s, as compared to some older maps, that the PHALANX Base map looks quite "obsolete" now. If the plans come from the late XXth century, the furnitures should be up to date.
For instance, we could have laptops or sensitive desks in the officers quarters (Quarters' 2nd floor), and in all the working stations. Also the large CRT TV in the Quarters should definitively be replaced. I hope you'll find time to have a pass before v2.6 is released.

Do you wish that we report any "anachronism" we spot on older maps (CRT TVs, XXth century cars, ...), or will you review them anyways in due time?

Some of the older maps were done at the very beginning of develepement. Back in 2006 the game did not took place in the future. However, in order to replace XXth century cars we would need upgraded models. Also you should keep in mind that playability is way more important for a map than visuals.