project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Allow deselecting units  (Read 2599 times)

Offline ilariog

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Allow deselecting units
« on: August 22, 2015, 05:20:30 pm »
Hi all!
I would like to have a way to deselect units in battlescape.
Having always a selected unit means that if you do a wrong click on the terrain (for example trying to select another unit) the selected unit will start running in that direction wasting all its time units.
This can be solved activating "confirm orders" option but deselecting units would be nice also for allowing the user to drag the battlescape map with the left click, just as you do in geoscape dragging the Earth surface.

How to deselect an unit?
Unfortunately right click is already assigned to rotate the unit. So I propose to use the ESC button for deselecting units, clearly a second ESC pressure will take you to the menu. Maybe also right-clicking on the selected unit portrait could allow the user to deselect it.
Thanks

Offline Mandrache

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Allow deselecting units
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 07:54:49 am »
I think deselection would be nice as I seem to do move them the wrong way every mission, but I'm not sure deselecting them would stop it.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 10:48:13 am »
I would suggest using the action confirmation option from the menus instead.

-geever

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 11:38:05 pm »
I have a suggestion close to this request that could be helpful.

Given that:
  • the soldiers already automatically stop and cancel their orders as soon as they spot a new alien,
  • it's easy to send the wrong soldier in some tricky or silly location because we didn't take care enough,
  • Third Mouse Button is already used to CANCEL an on-going fire order,

Why not using Third Mouse Button to CANCEL an on-going move order?

I mean that, should you give a silly move order, the soldier would start venturing in the wrong direction, but then would "realize" his mistake and stop  (when you click on the button), the same way as he starts moving and then stops when he spots an alien, awaiting further orders. Thus, it would not totally cancel the move, but it would more user-friendly.

By the way, sometimes, even a clever order move may be "spoiled" by a dangerous AI routing, If you don't think to split your move in several orders.

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 09:29:32 pm »
I recently turned the confirm orders option on, and it would satisfy pretty much all of those demands, if you pay attention to the route it plots.

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 02:28:53 pm »
I agree, and that's why this should be a (very) low priority request.

Nonetheless, as far as I am concerned, I'd tend to see this as an immersion-breaking workaround, and I'd rather have a more realistic, intuitive way to stop a walking soldier. He would stop just because he realized he's doing something wrong/unwise, the same way as he stops when he spots a new threat.