project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Help with big UFO  (Read 4171 times)

Offline Talos

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Help with big UFO
« on: August 21, 2015, 07:11:43 pm »
Hello. I am playing a campaign and I got built a missile silum (whatever it's called since I'm playing it in spanish).
How do i do to launch missiles onto the ufo? I need to take down a bigger ufo and it is not enough with a small plane.
I forgot to add that I built a couple of missile one in south america and other one inside my main base. I bough it's ammo and equipped it.
When I select in on the geoscape, next to the weapon it says "working"
Is that why the missiles aren't launched?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:07:59 pm by Talos »

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Help with big UFO
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 03:17:32 am »
¡Hola Talos! ;)

What do you mean you bought their ammo? Neither the in-base missile battery or the off-base SAM site use any ammo, only the A55 'Cicada' Launcher needs to be equipped (in-game explanation is that the UN provides the ammo to PHALANX for free), anyway if click the installation (for the base one ) you can set it to fire automatically to any UFO that enters its range, or if you have an UFO on screen click it to bring the intercept window and select the 'SAM Defence' tab there click any SAM installation to make it fire against the UFO.

Offline Talos

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 01:38:48 pm »
Thanks. I didn't have in consideration that it had to be in range of the base in order for missiles to launch.
However I tried sending to ships to destroy the ufo and both failed, then the ufo crossed the air over my base and it took several damage from my laser turret and the missles and still I couldn't take it down... I don't know what more to do to destroy it. I also tried to wait for it to land but then the number of aliens to fight was too big and too difficult.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 04:47:50 pm »
Launch a ship from that base. Hold position over the base. The UFO (a gunboat or corrupter I assume) will attack it. Once the UFO is about to come into range to fire its weapons, return the ship to the base. The UFO will move away from the base. Repeat. Every time your ground based rockets/lasers get to shoot a little more at the UFO. It will go down after some iterations. This is the only way those two types can be taken down for a long time since you need Stingray interceptors with alien launchers and extra armor for doing that safely.
Be warned that launching/landing ships while UFOs are in scanner range reveals your base's location quickly and that just a single hit from the UFO's rocket launcher will destroy a stilletto. Sarazen survive one hit IIRC. Starchaser is still too weak, at least without max upgrades. At least they can safely flee.

Offline Talos

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 06:49:36 pm »
Thanks. Luckily after building the laser tower, the ufo entered the range of my defense system and didn't take long to take it down near my base :)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 10:51:25 am »
Launch a ship from that base. Hold position over the base. The UFO (a gunboat or corrupter I assume) will attack it. Once the UFO is about to come into range to fire its weapons, return the ship to the base. The UFO will move away from the base. Repeat. Every time your ground based rockets/lasers get to shoot a little more at the UFO. It will go down after some iterations. This is the only way those two types can be taken down for a long time since you need Stingray interceptors with alien launchers and extra armor for doing that safely.
Be warned that launching/landing ships while UFOs are in scanner range reveals your base's location quickly and that just a single hit from the UFO's rocket launcher will destroy a stilletto. Sarazen survive one hit IIRC. Starchaser is still too weak, at least without max upgrades. At least they can safely flee.

Hey, anonymissimus! Please don't suggest cheating to other players. It's not nice. They want a fair play! (I hope)

-geever

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 03:55:04 pm »
Hey, anonymissimus! Please don't suggest cheating to other players. It's not nice. They want a fair play! (I hope)

-geever

You do have weird opinions about what's cheating and what not. I don't see why this should be. Just an exploit of an AI weakness, simply put. Moreover, there's no other way to take these down. You would have to let them fly, grave danger for the troop ships. As it's usually done with a weak ship it's also very dangerous. Not even much of an exploit.
That being said, landed corrupters tend to produce easier missions than crashed ones.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:56:58 pm by anonymissimus »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 11:44:56 pm »
You do have weird opinions about what's cheating and what not. I don't see why this should be. Just an exploit of an AI weakness, simply put. Moreover, there's no other way to take these down. You would have to let them fly, grave danger for the troop ships. As it's usually done with a weak ship it's also very dangerous. Not even much of an exploit.
That being said, landed corrupters tend to produce easier missions than crashed ones.

Exploiting an AI weakness is an unfair playstyle => cheating. You may find it weird, but that's my point. Oh, the game is hard? It's better than games that are way too easy and boring. I call it challenge!

-geever

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 02:32:17 pm »
If we start there, where does it end ? Then it's unfair to use cannon fodder too, since that exploits the fact that the AI puts priority onto killing anything and thereby exposing the killer at the end of its turn. Weapons that can shoot through walls, grenades that stun, shooting at something remembered without seeing it, shooting at a suspected position without seeing it ? Unfair as the AI cannot do all of this. There are zillions of things that are unfair against the player, such as the damage scaling. This is war and war isn't fair. You just have to win by whatever means you can get your hands on.

That being said, you are asking me again not to write things into the forum so that I don't spoil other's games ? It is everyone's own decision whether to read what I call tactical tips and whether to read and use it or not to use it because e.g. the person considers it cheating.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:34:04 pm by anonymissimus »