project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Produce Rate settings.  (Read 3977 times)

Offline ManDrake13

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Produce Rate settings.
« on: August 10, 2015, 03:03:58 am »
I've been debating the producerate setting for the campaigns and I was wondering what the general consensus was for it's value. So here are the relevant lines of code from the cp_produce.cpp.

Code: [Select]
34 /** @brief Default amount of workers, the produceTime for technologies is defined. */
 35 /** @note producetime for technology entries is the time for PRODUCE_WORKERS amount of workers. */
 36 static const int PRODUCE_WORKERS = 10;
 63         /* Calculate the time needed for production of the item for our amount of workers. */
 64         const float rate = PRODUCE_WORKERS / ccs.curCampaign->produceRate;
 65         double const timeScaled = timeDefault * (MINUTES_PER_HOUR * rate) / std::max(1, maxWorkers);

At first I was taken aback by the setting of 10 by default, well producerate is set to 1 by default, which makes the rate 10. But then I started putting pencil to paper on the math and my reaction was a bit unrealistic, but not terribly so. According the publicly available statistics the average American worker puts in 1600 hours are year and the average European worker put in 1400 hours a year. The goal is to have workers working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week logically no one human being can do that. Doing some rounding that comes out to about 8760 to do one constant man year of work. Dividing it up to get 24/7 coverage for American workers that would be 5.475 workers to do one man year of work, or 6.257 workers if they are European.  Which would mean their respective producerate would be 1.8265 and 1.5982 roughly. Personally when I worked as a contractor, I worked 1920 hours a year, which is 4.5625 workers to do a man year. But I'm zealot and I got paid overtime, so I don't think that's realistic. I mean I know it's not realistic to work every worker 24/7, but do we really need to give them 12 weeks vacation a year? Or 17 weeks of vacation like the Europeans? There is a super secret war against the Aliens going on, do we have to only keep them working 22 weeks a year? Given that it's the future and the averages have probably changed at least some what, because human life tends to get easier over time. Anyway, that was just my thinking on the subject, I was curious if anyone else had come up with different math on the topic.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Produce Rate settings.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 11:55:24 pm »
I recall there was some discussion about this a while ago, but can't remember what came out of it, but I doubt anyone ever worked the math like you, in fact I think all the balancing has been done tweaking the production time for each item to something that "works"...