project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Problem with the launch of a tactical mission  (Read 3135 times)

Offline santa

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Problem with the launch of a tactical mission
« on: May 10, 2015, 01:39:28 pm »
Hello
First of all, forgive me for my english, i`m from Russia
I have a problem with the launch of a tactical mission. Click start, and after load the game stop responding (attached screen1 where the game freezes)
Try to start with various video configurations - always the same

The second problem - when you type the name of the player. When you try to delete the "question characters" the game crashes (second screen)

Offline santa

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with the launch of a tactical mission
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 01:40:04 pm »
system is win 7 64

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 04:58:48 pm »
Unfortunately the game is known to have issues with non-ascii usernames. The easiest solution would be changing your username to have ascii characters only.
The second issue is clearly that.The username field cannot handle multi-byte characters correctly. We could probably work around this with setting cl_name console variable and restart.

I'm not sure if the battlescape issue is related though. Your ufoconsole.log did not contain any trace of starting a battle, the game must have been restarted and the log got overwritten. Maybe the username fix would fix it too (maybe)...

-geever

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 05:11:50 am »
Actually the user name field can handle multi-byte character (glyphs? code points?) perfectly fine (assuming you have an appropriate font) the problem is that the game uses an ancient ANSI windows function to retrieve the user name, which returns it encoded with whatever code page windows has configured while the game expects UTF8

Yes the battlescape issue is most likely related: ancient ANSI windows function to get the home directory path, which is again returned with whatever encoding windows has configured, the game then chokes on it while trying to load the battlescape: the game and SDL — which we are using to load the game library — expect the path with UTF8 encoding

I've been working on replacing the old ANSI functions for widechar equivalents — and handling the necessary UTF8 <==> UTF16 (which is BTW windows native encoding: ANSI functions are provided for compatibility reasons) conversions — on master, if someone who uses windows and has an user name (and user directory) with non ASCII characters could test that would be welcome