project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: how to code without breaking the game  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Emcha

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
how to code without breaking the game
« on: March 18, 2015, 01:47:39 am »
i learn by jumping in feet first, making mistakes, and asking a shitload of questions.

so i decided to muck about in the guts of this game, the last time i really did any sort of coding was when i fiddled around with game files in StarLancer, like more than fifteen years ago. so I'm a little bit out of my element here.

just to see what would happen i took the assault rifle and fiddles with its values, and now the game won't even start, and gives me an error, Illegal pos statement '1'

even after replacing the modded game files with the originals the error continues. I have an idea what i did wrong, but i want to hear y'all's input on the matter.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: how to code without breaking the game
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 06:24:48 pm »
Well don't look at me, just last night I broke the game's build because I forgot to push half of my changes to the repository...  :-[

Anyway, regarding your problem, it seems that you made a typo somewhere probably forgot to quote some property that takes two (or more) numbers, for example: damage "100 5" vs damage 100 5 the later will error out, the problem might persist if you kept a backup of your changes in the same directory as the original files — the game will try to load all files with an .ufo extension that it finds in the directory