project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: proposals - difficulty level, savegame portability, tamans died out  (Read 2260 times)

Offline cannonfodder558

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Hello dev team.

Can the difficulty level be changed during a running campaign? I would like to try "mayhem" (I heard of 24 aliens in a mission? YEAH baby. Where's my chainsaw?). Playing on "normal" right now. This function would be an enrichment to my campaign.

Somewhere here in the forum I read that savegames are not portable between different versions. Is that still so? And if: Could you please change this? Please? PLEASE?

One last proposal/wish: In ?mid/late? game there are no tamans any more. I miss them, as they diversify the enemies in the battle. And I like their sounds...  Would it be possible to integrate a few of them in the alien crews of advanced alien craft/ met in the other missions every time in the game?   

Kind regards

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: proposals - difficulty level, savegame portability, tamans died out
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 02:31:08 am »
Can the difficulty level be changed during a running campaign? I would like to try "mayhem" (I heard of 24 aliens in a mission? YEAH baby. Where's my chainsaw?). Playing on "normal" right now. This function would be an enrichment to my campaign.

Changing difficulty is not supported because it could seriously unbalance the game - and most people would not use it for making the game harder at one point but, like changing it to very easy for battles, and very hard for strategic part - so they can say they've beaten the game on hard, but really they've cheated on battles.

Somewhere here in the forum I read that savegames are not portable between different versions. Is that still so? And if: Could you please change this? Please? PLEASE?

It is simply not possible. As the game develops, new things get into the game, some mechanics get changed the savegame data is changed. The only way we could provide forever compatibility is keeping compatibility code for every single changes - and even then the game should apply some default values for old savegames that makes the game different, having disadvantages.

We do provide such compatibility code, but only up to a certain time, so like a month or so, and usually a release is a good time to clean up the mess. If we didn't do this cleanup we would get to a point where it is impossible to make changes without breaking something.

So if you are following the development cycle - regularly updating master and loading&re-saving your games, you probably get up-to-date, loadable games, but between major releases (like 2.3 to 2.4) compatibility is not guaranteed.

One last proposal/wish: In ?mid/late? game there are no tamans any more. I miss them, as they diversify the enemies in the battle. And I like their sounds...  Would it be possible to integrate a few of them in the alien crews of advanced alien craft/ met in the other missions every time in the game?   

There are plans to make them challenging enough and get them back onto the field..

-geever

Offline cannonfodder558

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 07:37:13 am »
Good morning.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

Greetings

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 04:43:08 pm »
We do provide such compatibility code, but only up to a certain time, so like a month or so, and usually a release is a good time to clean up the mess. If we didn't do this cleanup we would get to a point where it is impossible to make changes without breaking something.

So if you are following the development cycle - regularly updating master and loading&re-saving your games, you probably get up-to-date, loadable games, but between major releases (like 2.3 to 2.4) compatibility is not guaranteed.
Great to hear!