project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Possible finales for UFO AI 2.5  (Read 3585 times)

Offline joserp

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Possible finales for UFO AI 2.5
« on: February 02, 2015, 11:54:35 am »
Hi:

I'm playing UFO AI v. 2.5., normal difficulty.

The number of UFOs are about #350; i have all technology investigated; only one tech was not investigated yet, the "Orbital UFO Activity"; if i end the investigation of this tech, the game says that has a new nuclear orbital missile for take down the carrier UFO; and if I have this tech, when the game ask me for launch missile, and i respond "launch", is the end of the game.

I can't find the Alien Base, and i haven't any reference of this...

I read in the forum about this (Alien Base), and other missions; mission of Carrier UFO down, etc.

Is it the only final in 2.5 take down the Carrier UFO with Orbital Missile?

Many thanks.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Possible finales for UFO AI 2.5
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 03:59:11 pm »
Apparently. Worked for me that way at least.

Watch where supply ships disappear or relaunch to detect alien bases, then send ships to that general location when a supply ship lands.
Alien bases don't have to do with winning in particular however.

Offline beng

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 05:00:22 pm »
The first time a supply ship lands (disappears from the map), just take note of the place where is disappeared because it will be building an alien base there.  Don't bother sending an aircraft to patrol there as you cannot find the base yet (and also you can never find landed supply ships).  Instead, build a SAM site exactly where it disappeared.

After a few days (3 days?) the supply ship will have finished building the base and will take off again, and hopefully your SAM site will shoot it because there will be no notification that it has been re-detected and you will get no mission button in the top left of the geoscape and the game will not pause so you will miss it without a SAM site.

You can only detect an alien base when the second (or later) supply ship lands there.

When you see another supply ship, send a firebird or some slow aircraft to follow it. You have to keep clicking to reposition your aircraft since it has no follow mode unlike XCOM aircraft.  If the new supply ship heads towards where the first one built the base, then you are in luck and it is not building another new base but just supplying the first base.  Follow it there with your aircraft and turn off the autofire in your SAM site so it does not shoot down the supply ship.  Once it disappears, send your aircraft to patrol on the exact place where it disappeared, and in a while the alien base will appear and you can attack it if you want (so you can fill your aircraft with soldiers so you can land right away).

The more times an alien base gets supplied, the bigger it grows so if you are not ready to attack it, leave the SAM site on to shoot down supply ships before they land there to make it bigger.

Alien bases are big so if you have a Hercules heavy lifter drop ship that can carry 12 soldiers, that will be useful. You need a lot of troops to move down the different corridors to clear the whole place. Troops should all have medikits and move in pairs so they can heal each other if they get shot.  Once you win you get an alien psi device to research but nothing useful comes from that.

The biggest UFO that i have seen is the bomber. Are there any other types after that?

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 08:31:51 pm »
Hi:

I'm playing UFO AI v. 2.5., normal difficulty.

The number of UFOs are about #350; i have all technology investigated; only one tech was not investigated yet, the "Orbital UFO Activity"; if i end the investigation of this tech, the game says that has a new nuclear orbital missile for take down the carrier UFO; and if I have this tech, when the game ask me for launch missile, and i respond "launch", is the end of the game.

I can't find the Alien Base, and i haven't any reference of this...

I read in the forum about this (Alien Base), and other missions; mission of Carrier UFO down, etc.

Is it the only final in 2.5 take down the Carrier UFO with Orbital Missile?

Many thanks.

In v2.4 the campaign ended when the player took down an alien base. In v2.5 the campaign ends when the player shoots down an alien Carrier, as you did. The storyline oc continues, albeit currently developement is kinda slow.

Would you mind sharing your final save here?

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 04:05:25 pm »
After a few days (3 days?) the supply ship will have finished building the base and will take off again
Seems to be about 5-7 days usually.
You can only detect an alien base when the second (or later) supply ship lands there.
I've detected them a few times by just flying there, but it's unlikely.
The more times an alien base gets supplied, the bigger it grows so if you are not ready to attack it, leave the SAM site on to shoot down supply ships before they land there to make it bigger.
No. A base that never has been resupplied can be large, another one that has been supplied several times can be smaller. I don't know whether this is a bug, but I feel compelled to think so. They are too large in general IMHO.