project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2.6 Interface  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Talos

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
2.6 Interface
« on: February 01, 2015, 09:07:47 pm »
I'm going right to the point.
I know 2.6 version is a dev version and is not final but after playing this version of the game (2.6) I have to say that I don't like the new overall interface at all.
In my opinion poorly chosen colors, the text is like blurry for me, dark greyish background is ok, but having the text being a similar color doesn't help a lot.
I might be the only one with this problem though.
Even main menu in my opinion looks worse, uglier (sorry guyis but for me it is like that).
For the overall interface I like the older green one better. Battlescape interface looks much easier to use and more streamlined which is good but again, colors as the most of the interface are not really well chosen as some background and text colors are too similar, and I don't know if it is just me but I find some text harder to read than before.

I don't know but appart from what I said before, the interface style is uglier (main menu for example in my opinion feels more simplistic in the bad terms) and colors badly chosen. The darkish theme for this kind of game fits well but for some reason I prefer the old interface theme.

There is one thing it could be better and it is the battle UI like I said before looks more to the point and easy to use and one thing I noticed is there are bindible keys.
Am I wrong?

I hope that the final version changes a bit for better.
I hope I gave some contructive opinions.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2.6 Interface
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 06:05:49 am »
I might be the only one with this problem though.

Tbh, you are not.

Offline Internecivus

• Rookie
  • Sometimes I Code
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 03:59:58 pm »
Let's skip personal preferences for pre-2.6 UI and proceed to actual problems.
Fuzzy overlay that covers everything, making some things too blurry, could be easily disabled, if dev team agrees to remove it. Transition from SDL1.2 to SDL2 also contributed to text blurriness as (*) it has different text rendering (*).
As for poorly chosen colors: as one who contributed to UI2 development, I'd like to hear not only complains but suggestions too. I could implement any reasonable suggestion, but with my dreadful sense of color it's hard to find an apropriate eye-candy color that will please everyone. Do a little research and show results here, if your option is better than default one it will be implemented in no time (in fact, as soon as I visit the forum :) ).

(*): Controversial info, I'm not really sure. I've done some tests with both SDL versions and I clearly saw the difference. Maybe it's only my problem, maybe it's common for everyone.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 01:47:16 am »
<..>
Transition from SDL1.2 to SDL2 also contributed to text blurriness as (*) it has different text rendering (*).
<..>
(*): Controversial info, I'm not really sure. I've done some tests with both SDL versions and I clearly saw the difference. Maybe it's only my problem, maybe it's common for everyone.

Not only your problem, that is the very reason I compile with SDL 1 only; I can also see the difference, but it seems that for some people it is more evident than for others.