project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Laser turrets for SAM sites?  (Read 4842 times)

Offline bluereaper75

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Laser turrets for SAM sites?
« on: September 22, 2012, 09:48:20 pm »
I was wondering if it was ever possible to put base-defense laser turrets onto the sam sights in the future? I feel like the technology of a laser cannon is being underused here. Like if it was an option in stead of having just missiles.

Thank you for your time

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Laser turrets for SAM sites?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 10:10:46 pm »
Well, it would be easier on the players to just rename them all into "AA emplacement" and cycle various weapons but I foresee issues with swapping between models of the missile, laser and particle weapons.
Of course, I know exactly jack shit about the subject and am mainly guessing.

Offline beng

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 01:00:29 pm »
I would like to bump this feature request. I am playing 2.5 and made some laser turrets hoping to put them in my SAM sites but could not. It would be nice if they could be put in SAM sites since they can be made in the workshop. Maybe they could be transferred from the base to the SAM site?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 08:41:51 pm »
It was a design decision not allowing that. Also the abbreviation SAM means Surface to Air Missiles, for a reason.

-geever

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 04:55:16 pm »
It was a design decision not allowing that. Also the abbreviation SAM means Surface to Air Missiles, for a reason.

-geever
Why is the player bothered to manually assign the rockets to the installation then, if it's not because it is planned that he will be able to choose ? There was even a popup message informing about it added at the start of the campaign, going from 2.4 to 2.5. Same for internal base defenses.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 08:07:07 pm »
Why is the player bothered to manually assign the rockets to the installation then, if it's not because it is planned that he will be able to choose ? There was even a popup message informing about it added at the start of the campaign, going from 2.4 to 2.5. Same for internal base defenses.

Because it is planned to provide more advanced rockets to equip. However adding AM rockets to SAM sites is not trivial as we need to figure out a way to maintain the AM usage. (Remember, AM is supposed to be a short resource...)

In addition to that I also plan to auto-equip defence weapons for SAM sites and Base Defences if one and only-one type is available.

-geever

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 10:18:58 pm »
those could be "regular" rockets but more advance launchers. like alien launcher but with completely human rocket. no anti matter or no plasma war head. maybe super small nuclear head or fusion one... i do have feeling that against alien bombers those would be very useful.
and why does sam site have 3 places but we can only use 2 of them?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 08:06:37 pm »
those could be "regular" rockets but more advance launchers. like alien launcher but with completely human rocket. no anti matter or no plasma war head. maybe super small nuclear head or fusion one... i do have feeling that against alien bombers those would be very useful.
and why does sam site have 3 places but we can only use 2 of them?

Why do you think it has 3 slots?

-geever

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 05:04:26 pm »
it was changed ;D
used to have 3 lines so it seemed like 3 slots.

anyway instead of sam site it could be called aa site. and we could add missiles or energy aa weapons like laser or some other that we dont have yet.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 07:14:33 pm »
You know, the decision came first, not the name, the problem is not the naming... ;)

-geever

Offline TallTroll

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 01:06:23 pm »
Also, with all 8 bases up, you can have up to 24 installations. Since you probably wouldn't need any radar sites for total world coverage, you might have as many as 20 AA sites. If they could equip anything more powerful than SAMs, the aliens wouldn't be able to fly anywhere any more. Maybe if advanced air interception gets in, air combat will need rebalancing, and allowing improved AA sites would be a good way to do that. Time will tell, I guess.