project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Saving during the battle  (Read 3626 times)

Offline prqek

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Saving during the battle
« on: November 20, 2014, 10:21:20 am »
For some reason I can’t reply to this thread (http://ufoai.org/forum/index.php/topic,937.0.html), so I’m creating a new one.
You say that save/load tactics ruins the spirit of the game, but if I can`t save during the battle, it ruins the whole game for me. The reason is simple -  I play games mostly on my way to work. Once  I get there I have to turn it off. Without saving I loose all my progress.

So I`d like to aks if there is anyone who started to work on mod, which would enable at least one save slot? If not, I`m going to take a look at it...  no promises, I may not have enough time to finish it :(

Thank you

Pavel

Offline Internecivus

• Rookie
  • Sometimes I Code
    • View Profile
Re: Saving during the battle
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:52:04 am »

Offline prqek

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 11:56:09 am »
I know about this, so I am not asking anyone to make it happen. I am asking if there is anyone who tried to do such modification. I just don`t want to reinvent the wheel...

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 04:38:11 pm »
Your hardware does not have a "hibernate" function?

Offline prqek

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 05:10:29 pm »
No. It is an Android smartphone.

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 06:56:23 pm »
IIRC Android got a service for selectively hibernating selected apps? (I'm not a user)

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 06:56:39 pm »
Someone recently suggested to set up a virtual machine where the state of the system can be saved. I've seen it working with other complex programs. No idea about phones, tablets etc but it should likely work on a PC or laptop.
Of course, this kind of saving doesn't allow to save-scum...but it allows interrupting the play.

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 07:06:41 pm »

Offline hoiba

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 01:16:19 pm »
Someone recently suggested to set up a virtual machine where the state of the system can be saved. I've seen it working with other complex programs. No idea about phones, tablets etc but it should likely work on a PC or laptop.
Of course, this kind of saving doesn't allow to save-scum...but it allows interrupting the play.

It was me who suggested the VMs. Well, I've created a Debian VM for VMWare Player (free to download and use but registration required) and compiled a 2.6dev on it. Then moved the to a USB 3.0 Stick. So I always have my 'UFO:OS' with me. At home I use it on my Win7 Desktop and when I'm outside (e.g. visiting parents on holidays) I use it with my Debian Laptop.
Well with VMWare Player it isn't possible to take snapshots of the OS (as I'm used to from the VM Workstation at work) but the OS can be suspended and resumed later without loss of data or game progress.
Regular backups of the savegame files (e.g. cloud storage) are useful in case the stick dies ;) 

But all this isn't useful for prqek with his android smartphone. Here the Hibernate software (Sandros post) could be a solution. But I didn't test it.