project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: In very easy mode soldier shouldn't be killed by a single attack  (Read 2926 times)

Offline ilariog

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Hi all!
I think that in Very Easy campaign we should avoid that a soldier with full health could be killed by a single attack. At least in the first battles.
For a newbie user is frustrating to lost a soldier due to an unexpected plasma grenade (even a combat armour is not enough to save a soldier from a plasma grenade) while playing the very easy campaign.
I don't think I can implement this, but I could try.
Thanks.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: In very easy mode soldier shouldn't be killed by a single attack
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 07:06:22 pm »
2.5 I guess !?
Grenades are special. I am very rarely hit by them. Kill from afar, don't let them come into rolling range. That's the tactic to protect.

In 2.6 a single hit from a basic hovernet kills my experienced, crouching, armored, full-health, smoke-covered soldier (by bleeding without having a chance to heal). And most importantly, the shot was not even directed at her. Wtf. So the only thing that's no instakill are spiders then. Ridiculous. I guess it's because the difficulty influences damage now.
This basically depends on chance only, cannot be defended against with tactical means, and armor completely misses its basic use. Its use is a weight object which helps to increase carrying capacity.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:11:00 pm by anonymissimus »

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:37:20 am »
i belive batlescape is the same played on very easy or very hard. the only diference is that on hard aliens get better weapons faster. but demage, hp... and everything else is the same.
for start you could play 2.4 if its still on. its much easier. once you get basics you coudl start 2.5 or 2.6. they are much fun.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 07:07:34 pm »
i belive batlescape is the same played on very easy or very hard. the only diference is that on hard aliens get better weapons faster. but demage, hp... and everything else is the same.
Until recently (and in 2.5), yes. But not anymore in 2.6.

Offline ilariog

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 02:47:35 pm »
In 2.6 [...] the difficulty influences damage now.

Ok, thank you for the answer, this could be enough to fix my concern  :)

Offline Soandso

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 12:30:07 am »
Difficulty settings are basically borked in 2.6.  Now on "very hard" I'll watch soldier after soldier almost completely covered get sniped on one pixel sticking out and every hit does about 1000 damage.  What I did is edit the normal setting to overall work more like the old very hard setting in the campaign.ufo file.  I gave up my first game after getting wiped on turn 1 a few missions in.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:31:58 am by Soandso »