project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Favourite Map  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Wolls

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Favourite Map
« on: September 25, 2014, 11:43:33 pm »
Alien Base,

Recently, whilst traipsing through the boonies (the boonies being the areas outside of radar coverage, heh) my transport stumbled upon an alien base.  I just gotta say, this is definitely a pretty sweet map and well worth the build up.  First off, there just wasn't a moment where I felt like I was being coerced into some horribly ugly run-the-gauntlet scenario, of which I was sorta expecting.  Granted it had some very interesting angles and passage-ways but overall I was struck by how comfortable the map felt.  Even though there were areas with rather long line-of-sights, there was always cover of some sort so that even up against multiple lines-of-fire I felt like smart movement would win the day.  Yes I was under fire, yes I was worried bout what was going to show up round corner A and B and then C, yes my head voice was whispering 'all things are going to end terribly terribly wrong' and still I felt like I had plenty of options, real choices, so yeah, I stood a chance. 

Seriously great map.  Honestly, this is one of my very favourite and expected maps to play.  If you rush the Dam that can also rock.. cover.. that is how I decide my favs..

What are yours?

Offline Wolls

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite Map
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 11:57:36 pm »
EDIT:  I love this map cause I thought.. no chance.  I had 1 sniper and maybe one other kick ass assault unit.  So when this comes up I am thinking, there is no way I win this.  I won with those and some Mok.. you may not know me but I like knife or mono K knife units.. and to be honest there arn't a lot of damaging weapons that out damage a grenade per TU price..  thats range by movement to kill.  Also the first time I ever meet a Ortnok.. heh I could not get around.. took the hit to deliver the killing blow.  ( +Armour. yes I lost mobility.)

There ARE  maps where your know your screwed.  I thought I had a chance and I saw even more opportunities.  Like I wasn't justt holding myself back v as the map was holding my playstyle back..  and this is a total fan gush.  :) heeh

PSSSSS:  As I was playing I thought I was screwed.  Like I am used to adjusting my play to the map and I usually ship out the crew ship before the interceptor..  This was the first map where I suffered non causality and didn't have to play to it.. like it was so open it played to my style.  Its the cover, the angle coverage.. just options.  The first map I ever thought I could just play as myself and win. Almost Error less.  That Ortnok was against a wall and no movement.. mebbe I can lead it somewhere better?  I rushed it.  Once he fired I was 6TU from being behind him.  I still thinnk.. maybe with more patience.. I could have won without deliberate hit.. but I like it.  The most fucking AWESOME map I have played.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 12:22:40 am by Wolls »

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 04:40:16 pm »
Could you please not double post but actually use the "Modify" button ?

How long do you play alien base missions ? They are annoying, takes me at least 3 hours each time.
My favorite one is tropical jungle estate. Sometimes over on turn 2, but I tend to loose valuable soldiers and saving civilians is also not trivial.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 09:59:39 pm »
Thanks Wolls!

I felt like smart movement would win the day.

That's exactly what I set out to do when designing a map. Maybe you should take up map making? It's not that hard and needs a good tactical mind to sort out all the issues in existing maps.