project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Money trouble  (Read 10143 times)

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Money trouble
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 05:19:08 pm »
I would be more than happy to remove the retry ability but we got too much "complains" from ppl still believe they have infinite lives so we came to a compromise with the battle will always be a bit different on each retry. Cheating on worker/scientist salary is just pitiable.

-geever
what about if we could get option to choose our starting position and not get it random?
anyway game that forces you with one way of playing it is bad game. if i want to play as someone with infinite lives wha are you to say no you cant. game wasnt ment to be played like this.
im happy to play a game where i dont loose any soliders. if i have to repeat mission i will. its my way of playing game and i enjoy it.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 06:50:39 pm »
So in theory the game can be beaten without improving any equipment for soldiers just bring enough smokes and patience. You can mawn anything down with time. I think most people who win use this tactic most of the game.
Only true for missions without civilians. If there are any, aliens kill half of them the first turn and the rest on their second. Most of the time. Unless the player kills several aliens on the first turn.
Palanx soldiers need to pose as targets to protect civilians. So most of the time I use a mixed tactic where only valuable soldiers are covered in smoke. And sheevar plasma blades can always kill smoked soldiers too.
4700000 cash. never had any money problems
So, you never had any available workers you could have placed into a workshop which you couldn't build because of low cash ? Or analog for scientists ? Come on.
Maybe true for late campaign where there seem to be such a lot of UFOs. (Hm hm, I think I should be able to do it without fire/hire even.)

Smoke grenades are the way they are supposed to be, and fire/hire is an implementation side effect. I don't see any reason why retrying (retry button) or reloading (quick save - removing the button is pointless) shouldn't be cheating. Not even when I forget to fire/hire, ugh.

EDIT
Also, if a player decides near the end of a month that a few soldiers/scientists/workers less suffice as well, where's the difference to fire/hire ? Wages should be counted continuously, every second, accumulate during a month in a variable and then be subtracted.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:59:46 pm by anonymissimus »

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 07:59:42 pm »
well i couldnt just build 5 bases from start. but this isnt cash problem. i made second base quite fast and than third one. was able to keep everybody happy, except oceania. than i made 4th base and make oceania happy. was able to play, build research normaly.
ok maybe if you play on harder difficulties you may have some problems. i play on medium i think.

Offline Internecivus

• Rookie
  • Sometimes I Code
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 12:09:24 am »
Yeah they could help a bit. I know if I can get started it will get easier. But it will be too late for my second squad. Even my main squad van barely cope with alien threat. Anything weaker could be suicicide run. Lost mission is ending game, so... Lategame if I would have the money I can't chose to send out more rookie squads instead of my über squad and use the survivors as my new squad. Cause If maybe I encounter something what rookies can't do. Then it's simply game over... Not really nice thing though.

I usually took one or two rookies with my trained squad and allow them to make coup de grâce. Of course, I don't have 10 superman soldiers, but instead I have 30 excellent ones and some others with worse levels.

well i couldnt just build 5 bases from start. but this isnt cash problem. i made second base quite fast and than third one. was able to keep everybody happy, except oceania. than i made 4th base and make oceania happy. was able to play, build research normaly.
ok maybe if you play on harder difficulties you may have some problems. i play on medium i think.

I tried to play on hard difficulty and it's really hard to win without losses on battlescape, because g_difficulty is now affect the battlescape (in dev version).

Offline Seerorin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 12:54:42 am »
Yeah but by know rookies make my squad really weak. If I would know this I would have used two squads or something. But then I would have two squad of nearly rookies. Dunno maybe try that on next game. Or something. Also radar coverage is anyways pretty low.