project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2.5 Early game builds+what effect the amount of TU's?  (Read 26366 times)

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 Early game builds+what effect the amount of TU's?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2014, 12:55:33 am »
The whole buy it earlier thing is true, but only for things you can buy.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2014, 06:49:32 pm »
Well, what things are there that one needs urgently and which cannot be bought ?
-assault rifle and machine gun EP ammunition: too expensive in comparison to ammunition for laser weapons; even needler ammunition is cheaper than machine gun EP ammunition and that's a similar weapon (and it comes for free from aliens)
-sniper rifle EP ammunition: useful for sharpshooters struggling from weigh, but coilgun clip and even electromagnetic rifle magazines are to be preferred whenever possible (both cheaper and more precise)
-PB grenades for the grenade launcher: useful, aside from that the grenade launcher may not be necessary in many missions
-electromagnetic rifle antimatter magazine: not really needed, its almost never a problem to fire twice - I always have at least 2 sharpshooters in the team for throughwall shots, and if it's not throughwall you should have an assault trooper around
-gas grenades: no idea, I never got to use these yet; do they create a field that stays similar to incendiary grenades ? If not, not worth it probably.
-aerial laser cannon and base-defense laser turret: only needed in small numbers and aren't used up
-hybrid missile: there are enough antimatter missiles from disassembling UFOs
-alien aircraft plating, alien polymer armor: needed, though you should maybe first research the ladder and only produce that
-Herakles and Raptor dropships: needed
-Dragon interceptor: not worth it yet, research Starchaser
-Starchaser and Stingray: needed

Everything else can either be bought or comes from battles or disassembling UFOs in sufficient numbers.
I like to produce a little field equipment at the point it cannot yet be bought or not in sufficient numbers, for instance, laser rifle, armors, coilgun. But not worth doing in large numbers, in the case of weapons only if the corresponding ammunition can be bought already.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 06:52:15 pm by anonymissimus »

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2014, 07:02:39 pm »
For me, armour is a bottleneck. It takes so long for armours to be available for purchase in the quantities I would like that I find myself spending a long time making them.

EP rounds though are well worth the time and money investment, when compared to needler and laser weapons, and for rookie snipers.

Offline Seerorin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2014, 02:48:53 pm »
Armor is a must have for my troopers. Also plasma rifles aren't up the task in open maps. So I want to transition to laser weapons. Would like to carry a lasrifle+plasma rifle combo but to change for situation is too damn slow. So probably will stay with plasma pistols. Didn't really used them though nearly all my soldiers are carriing one. But too slow to take it out and shoot it. Laser do little damage so not worth it. Probably a mix of plasma and laser rifles will do the trick. Or something like that. Still testing the builds after transition.

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2014, 09:32:14 pm »
There is literally no point in carrying both a laser rifle and plasma rifle. I don't get where you think that Laser rifles do little damage - they will tear through pretty much anything other than heavy armoured enemies with ease. I drop plasma rifles totally once I get lasers into the field.

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2014, 12:06:40 am »
well plasma full auto is great. lasers are for greater ranges. so i use mixed. after beam i still use mixed. beam, plasma, laser.

about coil guns so great... dont thay have only 2 ammo? where sniper rifle got 8 ammo.

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2014, 12:21:25 am »
I find that a pulsed fire laser burst is just as effective at dispatching enemies from close in with the laser, for less TU's. 2 ammo for the coil gun is often more than enough to last a moderate length mission.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2014, 12:48:15 am »
There is literally no point in carrying both a laser rifle and plasma rifle. I don't get where you think that Laser rifles do little damage - they will tear through pretty much anything other than heavy armoured enemies with ease. I drop plasma rifles totally once I get lasers into the field.
Well, for killing a full-health Sheevar running to you with reaction fire it seems you need all three beams to hit (12 TU shot of laser rifle) whereas it only needs 2 plasma balls from the plasma rifle (12 TU shot).
On the other hand, hitting with all 6 beams from 2x 12 TU shot of a laser rifle should kill a full-health Ortnok IIRC. Maybe it needs 1 small shot more. But the medium alien armor protects well against plasma, so it seems worth to field both, depending on the soldier role.
about coil guns so great... dont thay have only 2 ammo? where sniper rifle got 8 ammo.
4 in 2.5. That ammo is very cheap and it can shoot through 3 walls (key point). 2 replacement packs recommended for longer missions.

Offline Seerorin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2014, 01:40:52 am »
So laser can really cut through armor then. Also railgun pentretion. How it works? Can someone tell me? Cause I don't know how much that thing worth it. Sma 3 wall penetration? What walls aren't penetrable?

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2014, 09:08:05 am »
thin walls. thats the thinest walls of structures. if you can go with your solider on one tile and with other solider on tile next to it and there is wall between them - thats thin wall.

4 in 2.5. That ammo is very cheap and it can shoot through 3 walls (key point). 2 replacement packs recommended for longer missions.
hmmm. worth researching than. i used in 2.4 only once. will give another try now in 2.6 even if im already at end. (bomber researched needler not) ;D

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2014, 10:07:31 pm »
You can only find out which walls are sniper-shootable by trying. The side hulls of corrupters and harvester aren't, but the floor of the wings of corrupters are (strange). On military bunker I managed to shoot through the thick (!) wall to the large chamber near the northeastern entrance to the upper level. Walls of buildings on industry themed maps, suburban city, African village and such can generally be shot through. The floors in city high rise and subway maps, so you can stand above the target and hit from complete safety. Snapshot works, since the spatial distance is very short. Walls of crew quarters in base defense missions can be shot through; their top level doesn't have any opening so sniper is perfectly safe.
You don't kill most of the time, or need several hits, but bleeding often suffices as aliens don't ever use medkits.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:10:05 pm by anonymissimus »

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2014, 07:29:33 pm »
actually also harvester have some thin walls in lower floor.
and in base its good if you have living quarters close to entrance. get sniper in upper floor and have fun with aliens waliking in and out ;D
also works living quarters near worksop, dropship hangar.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2014, 08:19:23 pm »
and in base its good if you have living quarters close to entrance. get sniper in upper floor and have fun with aliens waliking in and out ;D
also works living quarters near worksop, dropship hangar.
But that could scatter your initial positions too much, perhaps so that some soldiers (perhaps just 1 - very bad) are separated from the others, with enemies on both sides.

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2014, 09:32:48 pm »
maybe not for first base but for ditional bases. entrance + worksops + dropship hangar together (points where alien can got in to you base) command center, living quaters, hospital together - next to previous (points where your soliders spawn) since i have some really good soliders its no problem to have them in pairs. but never have only one solider alone. since they cant heal themself.
its also good if you have entrance than something like small hangar, or powerolant and than command centre. distance is bigger so if you have snipers thay can hit alines good while aliens have smallerc hance of hitting them back. later on when aliens use needlers also RF from snipers is effective.

Offline Kaleh

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2015, 12:10:50 pm »
My usual builds: Assault unit-assault rifle,medkit,2 aditional mags,armor,IR and 1 flashbang and grenade. MG guy-MG,medkit,IR,armor and 2 of each nades (sometimes 4 smoke and 2 flash). Sniper-sniper rifle,2 aditional mags,armor,medkit,IR and 2 smoke nades. However, i first search for all of my soldiers to have atleast 35 strenght and 25 acuracy. If the unit has both but its not specialized in assault or sniper, he gets the MG