project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2.5 Early game builds+what effect the amount of TU's?  (Read 26358 times)

Offline Seerorin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
2.5 Early game builds+what effect the amount of TU's?
« on: August 15, 2014, 08:52:19 pm »
I have playing 2.5 and I have only one problem. I don't have the money to cover, the whole planet so I only downed 1 scout and attacked a landed scout. After that I met a horde of aliens on the metro station or something like that map. I would need suggestion for early game builds. Assault rifles are ok but dunno how to make a proper build. I'm triing to go with assault rifle+submachine gun combo(my guys can carry them without problem with basic armor) so how to organize it? I have trouble with carriing this weaponry+medkits+smoke and flash grenades. I think maybe the backpack is a bit small... Cause I cant place a rifle+4 grenades+medpack in it... Maybe there could be a dedicated rifle slot for holstering rifles(what should not work for heavy weapons). Or something...

Offline Seerorin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 Early game builds+what effect the amount of TU's?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 09:29:52 pm »
Oh I mean on similarly equipped soldiers what effect the TU when they aren't encumbered. Nearly same strenght too.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 11:57:47 pm »
Think about what you really need. While I tried carrying sidearms in my campaign, I found myself using them only handful of times, and only when primary weapon was totally unsuitable, like rocket launcher, flamethrower or grenade launcher. Armor, reload for primary weapon, medikit and few grenades are more important. Knives are totally useless...the only close combat weapon that has any use is plasma blade.

Offline Seerorin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 01:38:58 am »
Hmm thank you. I'm using, the large SMG + assault rifle(needed the weight to train soldiers). How can I dissamble UFO-s? Cause there is only an option to destroy them what isn't giving me material what I would need+antimatter also a only come from them...

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 01:53:16 am »
The subway is a very bloody map. I use at least 4 noobs (in a team of 8 ) there, running all into the southern entrance and then (the larger part) north. That tends to save civilians (and to loose noobs...).

Offline TBeholder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 05:26:11 am »
AR... and SMG? Exactly what for?  :D
Armor, medikit and grenades (one well-placed smoke can fix very hairy situations). I give them spare ammo only if a weapon got a tiny clip or as about 4th priority, what sidearms?

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 08:23:49 am »
Oh I mean on similarly equipped soldiers what effect the TU when they aren't encumbered. Nearly same strenght too.

Iirc it´s the speed attribute of the actor that affects the TUs he has.

Offline Seerorin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 11:22:21 am »
Thanks with the TU help. For sidearm I don't use sidearm. I use SMG-s as secondary in backpack and change weapons when I go in my man can easily carry the wait and sidearms looks really weak and inefficient for TU also SMG uses tons of ammo still perform pretty deadly up close and even a little further. But then maybe micro smg? It's the only other thing witch seems to do decent dmg. I have a few plasma pistols but they are scarce for ammo only 8 clips. Micro shotgun looks good but I do not know what to expect from it in combat... I have a scatter of 5, and only 15 range. Could I use these as only options for combat? Kerrblades are out of question I think. Large and don't really want to be even closer to enemy team. I use flashbangs and have smokes with me don't really knwo how smoke works so didn't used it yet. For sidearms I see it like this: pistol: you can't carry shit go with this shit, micro smg: you can carry weapons but you are using this crap to try to shoot something with it(ridicoulusly low dmg), micro shotgun: ok this packs a punch up close and personal but nothing more, Submachine Gun: ok this is what really good for close/medium engagements but ok made so it can't be used but only as a main weapon... Plasma would be good be good but I will need a lot of ammo(low skills for close) and even spare guns.

Offline Seerorin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 11:25:11 pm »
Ok problem solved itself. I didn't know smoke is the ultimate weapon. It is insanely strong as it is right now. I put it down. Sit in it and one man goes out. Others shoot, the alien he goes beck into smoke. Aliens don't even seem to know what hit them... Smoke works like cloak at least on medium...

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 12:29:46 am »
Just make sure to cloak civilians too. Or place a few replacement targets. Since if you are completely smoked, aliens shoot at civilians, and you need as many of them as possible to survive to keep nations happy.

Offline Seerorin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 01:03:51 pm »
I'm working with a team witch has 37 strenght the least. XD They can carry a sh*tload of weaponry but right know I just use plasma. I don't have lasers so I have to stick with all plasma lot of stun and smoke nades. Even thinkin about dropping out my plasma guns for more grenades on all soldiers. Thinking about giving some extra weight to them somehow. Inventory space is a big trouble for me right now. I think it will be always really scarce anyways. TU's on the other hand get to be more. I don't know how much it increases not so much at the moment but if it can reach a treshhold of 37-43 for the 80-100 range of speed atribute then it would be apriciated. That would make heavy wepaons not so obsolate mid game... Also this cloak thing isn't a bug? I mean it's really looks like an exploit to me...

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 09:47:55 pm »
well TUs are going up slowly. my top troops have 37-38 TUs after more than 50 missions. its true i keep distance from aliens so they walk less, but still. its very hard to have more than 40TUs.

Offline Seerorin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 11:21:06 pm »
Don't you know how much speed they have? Cause I have an average of 26-27. Now my troops have 31-32 TU without emcumbarance.

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 11:30:35 pm »
more than 50 i think. i will check later.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 11:58:46 pm »
Count 40 time units of movement to be safely out of sheevar plasma blade striking range. The most dangerous foe, according to my loss statistics...
In skirmish mode they seem to have <=46, a plasma blade needs 8 to wield and use. Most of the time they just use a small fraction of their TUs, but once they come into killing range their seventh sense tells them to consume the reserved 20+ time units to kill your colonel.

Yeah really, I believe the sheevar infravision thingy is nonsense, it's taken as an explanation, but the algorithm must work differently. And they also know how valuable your units are, as they sometimes clearly ignore the cannonfodder they are supposed to consume their TUs on. So I believe the AI is cheating regarding these two aspects.