project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Naming Soldiers  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Leader Desslok

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Naming Soldiers
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:55:14 am »
Is there a text file within the game listing the names of all the soldiers scientists pilots etc from which the game draws, and if so is it editable? I would like to go in and replace those names with my own custom names, instead of renaming them on the fly during game play. But I'm not sure where to look for the text file (if it in fact exists). Thanks in advance. Great game BTW.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Naming Soldiers
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 01:42:01 pm »
Download this file, modify it and place into base/ufos/team_names.ufo under your user directory (You might need to turn on "show hidden files" option in your file browser to find it).

-geever

Offline Wolls

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:03:19 am »
If you want to use complete names you can erase all of the lastname entries and then use the female / male entries for the full names.

Just leave a set of the quotation marks in -->  lastname (   ""   )
Or it'll break on you.

Offline Leader Desslok

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 06:08:24 pm »
Thank you for your help. I downloaded the file. Edited it to my liking, and then found the directory you mentioned doesn't exist. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I was running 2.4. I even did a full hard drive search for a file by that name and got nothing but the newly downloaded file. So I then when into the directory where the file was supposed to be, I had to create the Ufo directory and copied the file there. It didn't work. I would upgrade to 2.5, but...I was setting up my new Dell 8400 and when I moved my older computer I accidently broke my USB wi-fi antenna so I can no longer get that computer online. I swear if it ain't one thing it's another. (Third antenna I've broken in the last year). And I can't get the game (2.4 or 2.5 to work on the Dell 8400 because of a graphics card issue. Someone...please shoot me through the head.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 07:03:18 pm »
Thank you for your help. I downloaded the file. Edited it to my liking, and then found the directory you mentioned doesn't exist.

The original file is not there. It is packed into one of our pk3 packages (named 0ufos.pk3 probably) but how the game works is if it finds a config file like this in a suitable place it can extend/override settings from the original one.

-geever

Offline Wolls

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 09:49:12 pm »
I originally had the same problems trying to do just this thing with the UFOAI directory in C:\Program Files\ so I moved it to C:\Users\Public\

It works from there.  I'm on Vista and its probably a UAC / Privilege thing but I didn't feel like playing around with settings.

Offline Leader Desslok

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 11:01:15 am »
I'm still working on it. The Windows Vista solution doesn't work for me since I'm running XP. I have literally tried copying the team names file to dozens of places around my C drive, in almost every UFO folder I can find, into the Users folders, even into the documents and settings folders. Still no luck.

Offline Wolls

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 09:04:35 pm »
I still don't know what the problem is.   ???  But you could always just alter the archive itself.  Hopefully this helps.  Is it too late to mention that my technical expertise begins and ends at the power button?  ;D

You have the ufoai..\base\ directories full of various *.pk3 's ?? You have the 7-Zip and Notepad? ( or whatever program you use for compression archives)

Open the ufoai..\base\0ufos.pk3 with 7-Zip and find your way to the team_names.ufo  ( 0ufos.pk3-->\ufos\team_names.ufo )
Which you then open with Notepad and then proceed to copy paste over it with your version.
Save and Exit from Notepad.
7-Zip will then pop-up with an option to update the archive.
Click yes, it saves and that should be it.

In Vista it wouldn't allow me to save it so I moved it but you won't have that problem.  Although I don't know why this would work while the directory hierarchy would not.  ( If you still have a ufoai..\base\ufos\ directory you should need to erase the team_names.ufo from there in order for the game to use the archive one)

Offline Leader Desslok

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 02:27:45 pm »
    I finally got it sussed. I copied the 0ufo.pk3 file into a backup area. Then I opened it with 7zip as suggested. There was no team_names.ufo file. There WAS however a team_human.ufo file. I opened it with word pad and sure enough found the names. I edited them, added quotations. Saved. Then I deleted the original 0ufo.pk3 file out of the UFO directory (leaving the backup incase of a problem). I then rezipped the ufo files with my edited version and then moved it into the UFO directory. Started the game and presto...the names I wanted are there. Thanks for the guidance.