project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Remaking UI for 2.6 ?  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Tchey

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Remaking UI for 2.6 ?
« on: July 28, 2014, 10:59:56 am »
Hello there,

I coudn't decide where to post that, sorry if it's misplaced.

I've played UFO:AI a little, years before and i didn't enjoy. I've played again this month (i forgot about that game !) in 2.5 and i enjoyed. Now i try 2.6-dev for the new UI, and i can notice a lot of things that could be done (and i don't feel i will do it myself), learnd from Xenonauts or other XCOM-tasty games.

- Next to the portraits, with life, i want to see the TU and Armor left for each soliders at the same time. I've noticed the small buttons to switch between that, but why not having them all the time ? I don't thing it's a problem to have two more bars over the portraits.
- When i select Aimed/Snap/Burst etc, i can't cancel with mouse clic, only with Esc on keyboard, if i decide to move instead for example. A right clic or alike would be nice.
- I feel it's not clear enough what soldier in selected, from the portrait and from the green circle on screen. Maybe make the circle less bright for everyone but the selected one, and more obvious around the portrait ?
- When mouse overing the portraits, it would be nice to have a popup with the name of the solider, like we have when overing solider on map.
- I like with Xenonauts to see the TU left when i plan a move. Could you add option to have that too, instead of having TU cost/total ?

- On the soldier's equipment screen, the soldier's stats are top left, and the stuff are botton right, so i need to do a lot of jumps with my eyes.
- If you remove armor camo (Urban only now), why keeping that big ugly box in the middle of the screen ?

- I really disclike the strange filter on screen, like everything is behind an old screen.

- On Geoscape, the borders are very flashy. Toning down everything at lease 2x seems not too much.

Other than the UI (and indestuctible environment), i really like this game, maybe more than any other XCOM-tasty games i've played before. Thanks you for your hard work !

Offline vuser

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Remaking UI for 2.6 ?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 11:04:31 pm »
There are a few features which I remember using in 2.5 but were either removed in 2.6 or, more likely, I cannot find them at first glance.

1. I cannot rename aircraft. Besides, new aircraft don't have their numbers incremented. Every Stiletto I buy is called "Stiletto 1".

2. In battlescape, I cannot chose what kind of reaction fire I would like to use.

3. In Battlescape, the hint at the cursor sometimes shows the movement properties (how many AP to move there) even if I targeted an enemy (it should display hit probabilities, but it doesn't always do it). Bug, or a new UI feature I don't understand?

4. In the old UI, the inventory slots had solid borders. Now I only see the size of inventory slots if I try to move an item. Yes, everyone should know the shapes and sizes, but a very thin, almost invisible border wouls still be bettern in my opinion, than no border at all.

Offline Wolls

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 12:17:02 am »
1: From your base you click on the hanger and from that screen you can rename the aircraft.  See pic 1.   --> Although the aircraft same name thing is weirdness I was unaware of..

2: In the pic its A-B-C.  Although it is kinda tiny but there it is. It goes from a dot to a dash.  A to set Reaction Fire.  B for RF options. C for RF firemode.  Compare pic 2a and 2b.

4: When you pick up an item only the appropriate borders will show.  Its not what your used to but if you just started playing its quite intuitive in that you only need to see the border when you have picked something up. Or at least I'm guessing thats the effect that is intended.  But yeah its different.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:18:50 am by Wolls »

Offline vuser

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 06:19:14 pm »
Thanks for the RF hint!

Maybe if I weren't used to the old UI, I would have found it sooner.

I like the new UI, but I still think there are a lot of unfinished parts. I still have yet to learn (or get used to) how to autobuy and autosell, and how to close a menu in the base without leaving the whole base and ending up on the world map. :)

Offline Internecivus

• Rookie
  • Sometimes I Code
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 06:27:00 pm »
Try to click on a lock icon between spinners. It will lock current item quantity.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 06:19:05 pm »
1. I cannot rename aircraft. Besides, new aircraft don't have their numbers incremented. Every Stiletto I buy is called "Stiletto 1".

Actually "Stiletto I" is not "Stiletto 1" but "Stiletto Interceptor" and "Firebird D" is "Firebird Dropship".
I plan to change it to numbered names I'm just thinking about where to put the counters necessary for that...

Try to click on a lock icon between spinners. It will lock current item quantity.

"Lock", currently it is just for autosell, but it is planned to make it rebuy items later too. Then it will be a real locking.

-geever

Offline Flying Steel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 03:54:35 pm »
Actually "Stiletto I" is not "Stiletto 1" but "Stiletto Interceptor" and "Firebird D" is "Firebird Dropship".
I plan to change it to numbered names I'm just thinking about where to put the counters necessary for that...

Auto numbering the names would make far less of an improvement to recognizability than player controlled renaming.

Was it 'Stiletto 12' or 'Stilleto 22' that has the armor upgrade installed?

Vs

Was it 'Stiletto' or 'Stiletto Armored' that has the armor upgrade installed?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 03:56:37 pm »
Auto numbering the names would make far less of an improvement to recognizability than player controlled renaming.

Did I say anything about renaming option been removed?
I don't think so...

-geever

Offline Flying Steel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 04:17:23 pm »
Well no, but you quoted vuser saying something to that effect and didn't contradict the statement.

From that shred of evidence I was able to deduce the wrong conclusion... 8)