project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How to see inside base?  (Read 8252 times)

Offline frumius

• Rookie
    • View Profile
How to see inside base?
« on: July 15, 2014, 06:07:57 pm »
My base was just invaded. I was lost in there, didn't know what anything was. Is there any way to see this view of the base without getting invaded? Couldn't find the Command center,before getting killed that is. None of the rooms have any designation. It would be great to see the real base whenever I wanted. Is there a way that I missed?

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: How to see inside base?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 09:01:17 pm »
You can play the initial base layout in Skirmish mode. Maybe this helps?

Offline frumius

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 11:53:06 pm »
Just thought it would be fun to run around your base checking out each new building before it fills up with aliens. I actually killed one alien before they wiped me out. But  he may have just died laughing while watching my elite soldiers miss him repeatedly. I guess after losing a big base like that, I only had two, it wouldn't be worth it to try to continue. Too big a loss in money and money is too scarce.

Offline Grug

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 03:53:43 am »
I guess after losing a big base like that, I only had two, it wouldn't be worth it to try to continue. Too big a loss in money and money is too scarce.
Do you have a save from before the base attack? Even if you aren't one to reload if you mess something up, not knowing what the base was like I think is a legit reason.

Offline pe9298

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 05:03:18 pm »
I think the original question is a good one.

I had a base invaded, and I had recently read that the aliens might target my antimatter store to destroy the base.

But what did my antimatter store look like? I needed a map of my base.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 07:41:47 pm »
The images in the Base View are actually screenshots taken from the rendered map. I believe it is pretty easy to recognize them...

-geever

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 07:34:36 pm »
Hello!

Still, you could have like a dummy mission map, that would display your current map with one playable actor at a given position (entrance or CC). The Battlescape would be called from within the base management screen (window 'Building').

If there is one thing that is not shown in the UFOpaedia, it's the various levels of any multi-level building, as well as its footprint at the surface. Before the first base attack, you can't know that this building will hinder line of sight, or this one is best to build if you want a clear view to decimate the invaders from afar. Indeed, on my first base defence, I spent several dozen of minutes to investigate my base (before terminating the last Aliens). I would have prefered to spend this time while not in a combat mission. What buildings have doors to the surface? What have flat tops? Why build large hangars along the map's borders. How a Workshop or a basic Radar Tower may lure some Aliens on the surface and diminish the pressure on the Entrance... (etc.)(v25)

I even once designed a base with small hangars and quarters built so as to cut the surface in two (both buildings block the passage on the surface) to force the Alien spawned and trapped there either to use the large hangar to enter the base, or to await destruction by indirect fire.

Either use a 3D engine in the UFOpaedia to display and rotate true models, or rather, as I said, allow to enter a dummy mission from within anywhere (Base management window, or even Geoscape, when you select a base).

Offline nick87720z

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 02:33:26 pm »
I'm playing campaign with current version (2.6).
Can't find any way to begin dummy mission.
And there is no 3d view in ufopedia for base modules - only 2d images, with bigger size.

Tried to rebuild from git just now, after reading this thread, but nothing changed.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 06:54:47 pm »
I'm playing campaign with current version (2.6).
Can't find any way to begin dummy mission.
And there is no 3d view in ufopedia for base modules - only 2d images, with bigger size.

Tried to rebuild from git just now, after reading this thread, but nothing changed.

Which means?

-geever

Offline nick87720z

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 08:00:17 pm »
Which means?

-geever
Don't you ask, for what i need to start dummy mission on own base?
Still, you could have like a dummy mission map, that would display your current map with one playable actor at a given position (entrance or CC). The Battlescape would be called from within the base management screen (window 'Building').
Either use a 3D engine in the UFOpaedia to display and rotate true models, or rather, as I said, allow to enter a dummy mission from within anywhere (Base management window, or even Geoscape, when you select a base).

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 10:25:11 pm »
I think you misunderstood Rodmar. He wanted to support the feature request with that, he didn't say that the feature is available. And honestly I see no value in implementing it.

On the other hand, spawning a skirmish mission on a specific base layout is possible if an ump file was created for it. See Wiki:Random map assembly

-geever

Offline nick87720z

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 03:09:50 am »
hm, yep... keywords "could have", missed :)

Offline nick87720z

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 01:13:09 pm »
This reveals new possible feature - skirmish / base-defending mode, but it is unclear, what base should be used when not in campaign. And alien base assault too (btw, do they have cameras on their bases too? ...this of course could make it insane difficult  :-\)
Might be either default predefined base, created in begining on easy difficulty levels (i don't know about hard levels yet), or may be some training mode in campaign.

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 04:09:54 pm »
As for me, a skirmish map featuring all or most of the available buildings would fulfill the need. Or perhaps two maps, one featuring the default starting layout, and another one featuring all the end-game building (with a spoiler alert).

By the way, there could be a UFOpaedia page on base defense tactical considerations that would copy all the bits that are sprayed out in the various building pages, and would explicitely mention that some tactical scenarios are available for wargame training purpose (with the name of said skirmish maps). These would all be small maps, populated by the first opposed aliens. The system would be available after first ground mission(s).

Offline hackerjack

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 03:47:08 pm »
Surely the easy solution here is to have a map view that would display the base as you see from the geoscape?