project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: unstartable mission, Can't find maps/mine.bsp  (Read 4299 times)

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
unstartable mission, Can't find maps/mine.bsp
« on: July 07, 2014, 05:19:43 pm »
Attached is a save with a Herakles dropship holding over an "Old Mine" mission in southern Africa. Attempting to start that mission fails.

So this will be my first lost mission since I need to ignore it. Not too much of a difference, as this is one of the bloodiest maps. None of the civilians placed inside of the mine have any chance to survive. I only managed to save at least half of the civilians only once out of many times, since in that case there were only 4 and 2 of them on the surface.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:46:00 pm by ShipIt »

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: unstartable mission, Can't find maps/mine.bsp
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 05:25:04 pm »
Please note the sticky about reporting a bug.
The only thing that's really needed is a way to reproduce the problem, provided by a short description, which should be as clear and easy as possible. Other than that, requiring to attach this or that is just useless work. You cannot expect bug reporters to do that.
For instance, I could have attached the log, but why should I have. Fixing the bug requires reproducing it, which will inevitably yield the log as well.
It makes much more sense to ask a concrete question, if one is unable to reproduce or so, instead of just pointing to bug report guidelines, in which case I have to wildly guess  what could be needed.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 11:55:03 am »
Do you have a file "base/maps/mine.bsp" ?

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 02:38:39 am »
Do you have a file "base/maps/mine.bsp" ?
No. Only mine.map. Should I ?
I also ran contrib/map-get/update.py after encountering this problem, to no avail (no self-compiled maps).
Do you have that file ?

EDIT
Okay, it seems that the *bsp files are under version control. As there are no local modifications in my checkout, someone apparently forgot to add that file to the repository.
However, I wonder whether that map appears in the official releases, perhaps it's only in what you get via the script ? If it doesn't, removing it may be considered, due to the problems which I mentioned in the first post.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 03:16:25 am by anonymissimus »

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 06:37:43 am »
This thread could really take one of those 'Not sure if serious' pics.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 11:37:04 am »
*.bsp are the compiled *.map files.
No idea why map-get didn't get that file.
But you can also compile the mine.map yourself:
"ufo2map maps/mine"

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 05:05:58 pm »
The map repo is for master. This thread is for 2.5, no?

The .bsp files are not under version control.

"ufo2map maps/mine.map" is windows only, and won´t work when he runs an installer. Oc it is entirely possible he´s running a Mac. Or building from source using a Unix system.

The only thing that's really needed is a way to reproduce the problem, provided by a short description, which should be as clear and easy as possible. Other than that, requiring to attach this or that is just useless work. You cannot expect bug reporters to do that.
For instance, I could have attached the log, but why should I have. Fixing the bug requires reproducing it, which will inevitably yield the log as well.
It makes much more sense to ask a concrete question, if one is unable to reproduce or so, instead of just pointing to bug report guidelines, in which case I have to wildly guess  what could be needed.

You get the point?

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 06:50:40 pm »
The map repo is for master. This thread is for 2.5, no?
The thread is for 2.5 as I posted it in this section.
The map update script is intelligent: It detects which branch is currently checked out and contacts the corresponding map package. So apparently there exist map packages for each version/branch.
The .bsp files are not under version control.
Yes, I thought I had seen a bsp under version control. My bad.

"ufo2map maps/mine.map" is windows only, and won´t work when he runs an installer.
I just ran it on Linux, so it's not. I said something about version control above, so apparently I don't use an installer and seem to compile from source.

Anyway, ufo2map maps/mine worked.
Whoever maintains that map package should please add the missing mine.bsp.