project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Graphics Issue in 2.6  (Read 2719 times)

Offline slachoat

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Graphics Issue in 2.6
« on: June 13, 2014, 06:59:35 pm »
Hi there.  I was playing (and enjoying) 2.4 for a while and decided to try 2.6. Unintalled 2.4 and then downloaded and installed 2.6 using the full exe installer.  Now I have several graphics problems.

1) The font: Some of the lines in the letters are so thin it makes the words difficult to read (though I think this is also an issue in 2.4 & 2.5, just less noticeable)

2) All menus now have a really annoying texture in the background that makes the game look unpolished compared to 2.4.  It's so annoying that I cannot play while it is there.

3) The battlescape is way too bright. No matter how much I turn down the gamma setting, it's like all missions are taking place on the face of the sun.

4) The soldier equip screen has no lines at all so I have to guess where the left and right hands, belt, holster and backpack are.

I tried all kind of changes in resolution, full screen, windowed, low, medium, high settings.. basically tested changing every individual setting but nothing seemed to make a difference.  The texture is always there, very thin lines in fronts and extreme battlescape brightness.  I even uninstalled and reinstalled it.

I am running on an Intel E8400 3.0 GHz dual core machine with 4 GB ram, Windows 7 32-bit and GeForce 8800GTS (512MB) with the latest Nvidia drivers.

The game looks absolutely stunning in 2.4 but in 2.6 I cannot play under these conditions.

EDIT: I just uninstalled 2.6 and installed 2.5.  No graphics problems in 2.5.  So it seems to be something that changed in 2.6.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 08:32:45 pm by slachoat »

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics Issue in 2.6
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 09:04:51 pm »
The texture overlay is intended by the designers. I disliked it first, but have gotten used to it.

The other issues seem to be local problems that I can not confirm.
Can you please provide screenshots ?
What is the natural resolution of your monitor ?

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
Re: Graphics Issue in 2.6
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 10:01:10 am »
2) All menus now have a really annoying texture in the background that makes the game look unpolished compared to 2.4.  It's so annoying that I cannot play while it is there.

If you mean the "fiber texture", the texture can be easily modded:
Create a transparent image named "screen.png" in the folder \pics\ui\ (which you have to create yourself).