project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: A Gamer Package  (Read 5340 times)

Offline Steam

• Rookie
    • View Profile
A Gamer Package
« on: May 03, 2014, 05:15:59 am »
I'm a new Linux user so please treat me gently :)

Briefly, I tried  the files from sourceforge and finally got a clean configure after sorting out dependencies, but the make file quickly quit due to errors.  I then decided to make my ISP earn their money and grabbed the files from github.  This resulted in a configure with more errors, some of which I managed to sort out through the software center but still a make file which threw up errors rather quickly, however going back to the original sourceforge files I made it much further through make without critical errors that caused a stop( more dependencies sorted out thanks to the git expeience?) .  However I cannot get all the way through make with either.

I know I need files for people to see, but let me figure out this forum and pastebin first.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: A Gamer Package
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 11:46:58 am »
You can attach small files to your forum post too.

First, please attach your make log (the text it outputs to the terminal). And tell us which Linux distribution you are using.

-geever

Offline Steam

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 12:23:51 am »
I'm using Ubuntu 12.04
Hardware is an old Intel box running a core 2Duo E8500@3.16GHz*2 with onboard sound and a Radeon 4830 (or was it 4850?)

I have made some progress, especially since I disabled testall, here is the makefile:

# -------- Automatically generated -----------

HAVE_XVID_H ?= 1
HAVE_THEORA_THEORA_H ?= 1
HAVE_EXECINFO_H ?= 1
HAVE_SYS_UTSNAME_H ?= 1
HAVE_LINK_H ?= 1
HAVE_CUNIT_BASIC_H ?= 1
HAVE_MXML_H ?= 1
# DEBUG ?=
# PROFILING ?=
# STATIC ?=
# W2K ?=
# SSE ?=
# HARD_LINKED_GAME ?=
HARD_LINKED_CGAME ?= 1
# DISABLE_DEPENDENCY_TRACKING ?=
# UNIVERSAL ?=
TARGET_OS ?= linux
TARGET_ARCH ?= i386
# MODE ?=
CC ?= "cc"
CXX ?= "c++"
# CROSS ?= ""
PKGBINDIR ?= "/usr/local/bin"
PKGDATADIR ?= "/usr/local/games/ufoai"
PKGLIBDIR ?= "/usr/local/lib"
# LOCALEDIR ?= ""
PREFIX ?= "/usr/local"
# cgame-campaign_DISABLE ?=
# cgame-multiplayer_DISABLE ?=
# cgame-skirmish_DISABLE ?=
# cgame-staticcampaign_DISABLE ?=
# game_DISABLE ?=
# memory_DISABLE ?=
testall_DISABLE ?= yes
# ufo_DISABLE ?=
# ufo2map_DISABLE ?=
# ufoded_DISABLE ?=
# ufomodel_DISABLE ?=
uforadiant_DISABLE ?= yes
# ufoslicer_DISABLE ?=

# allow to specify your own targets
-include config.mk

Make will now complete compiling, but not without errors?  The response to make lang:

http://pastebin.com/wCCWUpMe

The response to make maps is similar with the additional filesystem initialization at the end with an error:

http://pastebin.com/NWPx0tf0

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 01:54:57 am »
You could download the maps, instead of compiling them all yourself, if you have no particular reason to compile them?

is it necessary to compile lang if not using other than english?

Offline Steam

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 04:11:05 am »
I was following (perhaps too blindly?) the instructions from here:

http://ufoai.org/wiki/Coding#Compiling_the_source

which are repeated here:

http://ufoai.org/wiki/Debian

I'm not sure where I could download the maps from?  Yes, I have seen further down that page the python update instructions and the make maps-sync instructions, but I think the links are broken(?)

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 02:29:10 pm »
On the debian page,
You can use the python script update.py in ufoaisource/contrib/map-get/update.py to save time and CPU power and download all the latest compiled maps (.bsps) from our server.

That worked for me, do you get an error when trying to run that python script??

Having ran make, do you now have an executable ufo file?

Offline Steam

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 06:01:35 pm »
You gave me an idea (Thank you!) so I went back to the files from github, sure enough there is a folder in there called "contrib" which contains the update map routines in a sub folder "map-get".  No such folder exists in the files from sourceforge so the scripts fail.  They work perfectly on the github files and I can download the maps rather than compiling them.  I disabled testall in the configuration and ran make on the github files which terminated with:

http://pastebin.com/b6M6eAN5

Nevertheless I decided to see if I had an executable ufo file, and I do, but it crashes:

http://pastebin.com/hVyCKCZ4

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 06:17:50 pm »
for the error in bspslicer do a git pull.

Offline Steam

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 09:29:03 pm »
I was about to ask you for a tutorial on git, but it turned out to be a lot easier than I thought.

That disposed of the bspslicer error (thanks) and make now seems to complete, at least it ends at:

===> LD [ufoslicer]

if that is correct?

Now a different issue:

Executable is still crashing with the error shown above:

http://pastebin.com/hVyCKCZ4

Do I need different drivers for my videocard?  Or is it something else? 

Offline Steam

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 11:02:59 pm »
For the benefit of those who may step this way in the future, I shall continue.  As I've said I am new to linux, so when I installed Ubuntu the software didn't put me off using open source drivers so much as warmly suggest I would get much better performance using proprietary drivers developed for Linux by AMD.  To quote the software center "this package provides 2D display drivers and hardware accelerated OpenGL"  If you come from a Microsoft background it is usually better to install the manufacturers drivers as opposed to the generic inbuilt ones.

I decided to have a look at how the driver might be performing and the results of glxinfo produced:

name of display: :0.0
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  153 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
  Serial number of failed request:  12
  Current serial number in output stream:  12

Which looked surprisingly like the error I saw when I tried to run the game.  The results of some research showed that this is not uncommon and may cause errors with other things too such as Minecraft (which I don't play), and Steam (which I don't use) The driver is fglrx, but the results of fglrxinfo produces the same error.  It turns out that fglrx is blacklisted in etc/modprobe.d/fglrx.conf which consists of

# This file was installed by fglrx
# Do not edit this file manually

blacklist radeon
alias fglrx fglrx
alias radeon off
alias lbm-radeon off

So, I shall either have to figure out how to edit this, get it off the blacklist, or uninstall and purge the fglrx drivers and install some open source drivers instead.

Now, if the moderator(s) would rather I stopped posting about this, please let me know and I will stop.  I propose further posts detailing how I got ufoai working, or died trying.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 12:54:30 am »
It's perfectly fine if you continue.

Offline Steam

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 03:32:41 am »
I couldn't work out how to remove the fglrx blacklist file, and in the end I didn't want a device I paid for run by software I don't appear to have any control over.  To be fair there are a number of ways of installing the proprietary drivers and I may just have chosen the wrong one because my catalyst control center didn't work, perhaps this person's method of installation is better and may produce an install that doesn't produce errors?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka5gBMlo-zo

I spent longer making sure I uninstalled and purged all the instances of fglrx than it took to reboot with the open source drivers.  The video card is now being run by a Gallium 0.4 driver and I thought I was onto something when there was an immediate and verbose response to glxinfo.

I'm pleased to report that it doesn't look like I'm going to have to die trying because, although I don't have any time to play right now, the game loaded without a hitch.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 07:09:57 am »
great =D

I had a terrible time with ati drivers when I tried using their gpu on a linux machine, I've been much happier with nvidia since... not to say that there wouldn't be room for improvement in that camp as well.

Offline Steam

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 01:05:32 am »
This box was built several years ago for Windows Vista, in fact that's still around on a partition.

This is actually the first game I have installed on Linux, other than the "waste a few minutes" games like minefield, and so far I'm impressed especially after all the negative vibes about games on Linux from the Windows aficionados.

Offline Xeno

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 12:57:07 pm »
In my experience UFOAI works ok on open drivers. (DELL Vostro 3560 - Radeon 7670m,  kernel 3.15 + mesa 10.1.5  + xorg 1.14). I believe your hardware shoud be enough to runthe ghame @1920x1080 with almost maxxed details (maybe except full-screen antialiasing).  Caltalysts may provide higher FPS at cost of bugs and crashes.