project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Simultaneous Movement  (Read 2854 times)

Offline AdmiralKew

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Simultaneous Movement
« on: April 12, 2014, 07:31:40 pm »
As of 2.4, soldiers only move one after the other though you can queue several move orders across different soldiers. This is perfectly acceptable, but perhaps in the future, soldiers can move simultaneously as soon as their orders are assigned to make for more visually fluid combat and quicker turns? But, this would probably be mostly polish and would be very low priority.

The game is great though.  8)

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Simultaneous Movement
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 11:22:16 pm »
I for one would be against it, simply because my plans for soldier movements change, depending on what moves early in the turn uncover. It would be a pain in the ass if all my troops moving at once left them in danger or unable to respond to a spotted alien, and equally a pain in the ass if I queued up loads of moves, only for them all to be cancelled on an alien being spotted.

Offline Wolls

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 09:30:05 pm »
   As a pure game balancing mechanic I can kind of see the value here.  That said rather than limiting the player controlled units I'd sooner have the computer units AI be upgraded to take advantage of what its units uncover.
   Currently the CPU moves consequentially through its units turns, never halting a units movements halfway though said units turns - switching to another unit - then switching back to the original unit.  Never really ever reacting to the uncovered action as a group/team.  The human mind would balk at being this limited though and it would be very difficult to revert to this action which I don't believe the player units have ever been limited to.

Although, a choose your action then rendering of said action would def be more visually fluid.  Perhaps upon completion there is a mission replay button which renders all choices simultaneously through each turn?  Rather then each unit individually within each turn.  It would certainly be cool to watch how the mission unfolded in realtime.

Offline AdmiralKew

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 07:57:30 am »
I realize that I have phrased the statement incorrectly. An example of what I'd suggested would go:
As it is: Soldier 1 is moving. You select Solder 2 and tell him to move. He waits until Soldier 1 has arrived at his destination.
As opposed to : Soldier 1 is moving. You select Soldier 2 and tell him to move. He moves without waiting for Soldier 1 to finish.

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:49:05 am »
Admiral, pretty sure you can do this already... ?

Offline Grug

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:31:39 am »
You can tell the second soldier to move, but he doesn't move until the first is finished.

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 07:58:14 pm »
Ah, sorry, I had misread.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 03:18:36 pm »
A long time ago (more than a year), IIRC Mattn said that this wasn't possible due to how the code was structured and things were implemented, not without a lot of revamp work in the code base.

Of course, that situation may have changed since that time, I'm really not sure and I'm not as familiar with the current source code.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 09:56:50 pm »
That part of the code hasn't changed much since then.