project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: "Hit the ground" option (Shift + fire)  (Read 5805 times)

Offline IMBACORE

• Rookie
    • View Profile
"Hit the ground" option (Shift + fire)
« on: August 19, 2014, 06:46:35 pm »
I need help on the “fire at the ground” option. The Options menu has Shift bound as the default button. Well, I pressed shift once and let my rocket launcher guy fire, but the HE round didn’t hit the spot where I wanted it to hit. Instead, it flew past the target and the alien near the spot where I wanted it to detonate.

Here's the part in my video that confuses me:

http://youtu.be/MtDJ1JXcRQ4?t=26m33s

Offline AntJam

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: "Hit the ground" option (Shift + fire)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 07:22:13 pm »
The shift button just moves the aiming point up and down so in the video you targetted the ground but the rocket launcher had such an awful accuracy that he effectively missed and fired high (parallel) to the ground.
   see here for more info on hit calculations http://ufoai.org/wiki/UFO-Scripts/weapon_*.ufo

Offline Internecivus

• Rookie
  • Sometimes I Code
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:55:53 pm »
I usually use SHIFT + fire to slightly enlarge grenade launcher firing distance, especially when it is one or two cells less than required to direct hit.
And yes, rocket launcher is greatly inaccurate while in rookie's hands.

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:41:51 pm »
TBH I only ever use the RL when there is some kind of background for the rocket to impact on - all too often it will fly harmlessly over the horizon.

Offline Nomad

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 07:03:18 am »
Pressing "shift" key for several times allows to cycle targeting higher or lower than default. Is there any real use of this feature? Maybe for shooting at enemies who are partially in cover?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 12:18:12 pm »
Pressing "shift" key for several times allows to cycle targeting higher or lower than default. Is there any real use of this feature? Maybe for shooting at enemies who are partially in cover?

Most useful for the grenade launcher and maybe for rocket launcher...

-geever

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 01:26:29 pm »
It is also useful for getting weapons to fire through gaps like windows - often the direct horizontal line will hit above or below the opening, and aiming a bit higher or lower will send more rounds through the opening.

Offline Internecivus

• Rookie
  • Sometimes I Code
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 02:47:11 pm »
And yes, rocket launcher is greatly inaccurate while in rookie's hands.

Heh, funny enough, I just have made almost impossible thing, my rookie killed 4 aliens with a single rocket hit.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 05:52:10 am »

Also needed to hit stunned targets — like when trying to heal a stunned soldier — otherwise your shots will fire high and miss (medikit too!)

Offline Wolls

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 12:44:29 am »
I think it has something like 4 options.  Press Once: Lower.  Press Twice Higher, Press 3 Times Even Higher and 4x for Reset.

If you go for a POV rather than a over top view, you will see it shift height.

It is also cumulative meaning it does not reset. Hit shift.. switch player and its shift based off of what it you left it.  SO hit one time shift (lower).. switch player hit shift one time( now higher) switch to a 3rd person and hit shift (even higher).  Doesn't reset when you shoot, either adjust it every aim or just reset it.

It also relates to your targeting reticule, or without clicking on a target your mouse will level itself to the terrain.  You can adjust the arc or projectile line by aiming beyond/before a target but the terrain height will alter/change the vertical levels just by itself.

So with a straight projectile, you want a green to red line, red being when it hits on a true path.  If you aim beyond the target you can aim for the sides rather than true mass.  ie instead of shooting through a post you may be able to just get around it.. or Guy on the right you don't want to hit.. aim beyond the target and a lil left.. ( so long as the line goes red at the target.)  So if you miss left.. you miss by a lot but if you miss right.. hopefully you hit the ALiens and not by enough to hit your own soldier.