project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Hyperion  (Read 20926 times)

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperion
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 04:37:46 pm »
Don't use that script, it kills all UV data... (I've known about it for some time now, btw)

Which was the problem, with the ones provided in our repo, maybe we can help you?

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 04:49:25 pm »
well i can copy past that script but cant save as .py file so blender cand find it. can someome just past past it here so i can download it here.

Offline AntJam

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 05:31:24 pm »
here is the blender import/export file I had to post as a .zip folder as .py files not supported on forum

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 05:49:09 pm »
Thank you.
here is new exported thing... its only 32kb... is this right?

2a is landed 3a is flying. tell me if it needs to be rescaled.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 06:01:47 pm by Noordung »

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 09:18:21 pm »
Thank you.
here is new exported thing... its only 32kb... is this right?

2a is landed 3a is flying. tell me if it needs to be rescaled.

Yes, that's right, that older script you found isn't very efficient... (plus our script skips gl commands by default -- we don't use them), compare the size to other craft md2's if in doubt

Anyway, will try to check it sometime soon...

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 07:48:10 am »
where can i find other md2 models?

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2014, 01:29:25 am »
If you have the game they should be in the directory called 'base' , within the directory called models you should find all the models used in the game (and our md2 script even includes an importer :) )

As for your aircraft, it seems you forgot to scale the landed version: it's smaller than a soldier's feet :)
Attached is how the 'flying' version look in a very quickly thrown together test map (no lighting, but you can see the size of the craft)

Mind that in order to be able to use it in the battlescape we need it to be split in parts according to the levels of the battlescape (if you find the models for existing dropships take a look at them to see what I mean), also a crashed version would be nice
And a low-poly, in-flight version for the geoscape would be nice as well

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2014, 03:28:45 pm »
yes problem was that nobody know how much exacttly does it need to be scaled. i scaled 32x for flight version and it seems by the picture that was right scale. i will rescale it here and post it later today. or is it 64x...

under base there are only .map files?

here are rescaled and low polygon... or how lod do i have to go?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:43:14 pm by Noordung »

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2014, 01:29:17 am »
Well the scale seems to be correct, but beyond that artists and mappers should give their impressions...
As for your question: We usually have whole models — in-flight and landed versions — for the UI (aircraft screen, market etc), a low poly in-flight one for the geoscape, and a 'split' landed and crashed versions for the battlescape (for example, for the landed version the ramps and landing gear could be one piece — for level1 —, the main body without roof another piece — for level2 — and the roof and everything above yet another one — for level3)

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2014, 07:18:23 am »
I like it to see the engines in the landing position.

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2014, 08:34:13 am »
so here are 3 floors 1. would be landing gear and doors, 2. aircraft without a roof (but is it with landing gear or without?) and third dould be whole aircraft or just roof?

is this correct?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:00:23 am by Noordung »

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2014, 06:27:04 pm »
Each "level" should be without the levels below (so, for example 3rd level would be only the roof and above) the idea is that mappers can 'stack' the pieces when creating the map, and the ship will be 'sliced' just like everything else (buildings, ufos, etc.) as we move between battlescape levels...

Will check this new ones ASAP, but can I ask you to add a skin to them before you export next time? (add a material, and a texture in blender, set the texture type to "Image or movie", and hit 'new' to create an image file) you don't need to actually create a texture, I just need the md2 to be exported with one skin so I don't have to add it manually which is a hassle (zero skins cause a crash, and our md2 tool can only add more skins if there's at least one already...)

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2014, 06:31:24 am »
Making the landing gear a seperate model would be good.

Beside that, making the body and roof sepaerate models to join them in the battlescape (like pot and lid)  is not a good idea, because .md2 defines vertices much less exact than e.g. Blender. So making those two parts fit together exactly in the game will be next to impossible.
So it would be better to make landing gear, an 'open' model for level 2 and a 'closed' model for level 3 and above.

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2014, 08:23:58 am »
lanading gear and open model are already posted here. and whole landed model is also posted here. so... only crashed now?
they just dont have "textures" like DarkRain suggested.

so here is crashed raptor. i hope its good.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 04:15:06 pm by Noordung »

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2014, 10:03:48 pm »
Each "level" should be without the levels below (so, for example 3rd level would be only the roof and above) the idea is that mappers can 'stack' the pieces when creating the map, and the ship will be 'sliced' just like everything else (buildings, ufos, etc.) as we move between battlescape levels...

Will check this new ones ASAP, but can I ask you to add a skin to them before you export next time? (add a material, and a texture in blender, set the texture type to "Image or movie", and hit 'new' to create an image file) you don't need to actually create a texture, I just need the md2 to be exported with one skin so I don't have to add it manually which is a hassle (zero skins cause a crash, and our md2 tool can only add more skins if there's at least one already...)
i made some test adding materials and textures but when exported textures and materials were lost - imported back to blender and no sign of textures/materials... or do you mean separate .png picture of textures like that attached?

and someone this UV map is a little strange and i cant fix it with ctrl+a since blender cant find any error. somebody can help maybe?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:05:32 pm by Noordung »