project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Adding new UFO: unknown craft_ufo_"name of new UFO"  (Read 13534 times)

Offline NicSO

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Adding new UFO: unknown craft_ufo_"name of new UFO"
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 08:12:51 am »
Making UFOs completely scriptlable is not trivial. However, I can imagine to add some "UFO Modder" to the hardcoded list(s).
Your best bet is to convince at least one dev why the game *needs* a second fighter.

For now, you can use the "UFO Ripper" which is in the lists but not used anywhere afaik.

But I must keep the name ripper :)

Well Ill try to convince them.

My idea is...humans are making more advanced fighters, 3 of them. I think aliens would compensate by upgunning their designs.

It was same in all wars. One side would add cannon to their craft, other side would respond. Lets take ME-109 and Spitfire as examples. Both planes were constantly changed and upgunned, their speed was increasing..etc.

I know this is a game with its limitations as such but I think we can make it more interesting, challenging and fun.
In reality there were numerous version of ME-109, I would like to make only 1 for this game, for the start. New more advanced, faster, upgunned and better armored UFO fighter, an answer to Dragon!
It would also be great that ufos are flying in formations and protecting other alien crafts.

I try to think from realistic point of view, thats why I modded all weapons in my game, some just a little, other alot.

This game is great but it can be even better :)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:17:24 am by NicSO »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 03:57:57 pm »
Making UFOs completely scriptlable is not trivial. However, I can imagine to add some "UFO Modder" to the hardcoded list(s).
Your best bet is to convince at least one dev why the game *needs* a second fighter.

For now, you can use the "UFO Ripper" which is in the lists but not used anywhere afaik.

Actually I want to make aircrafts, buildings, building capacities and employee sets, campaign mechanic fully scriptable which aren't now. But as always... it is time... and motivation issue..

-geever

Offline NicSO

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 04:51:51 pm »
Actually I want to make aircrafts, buildings, building capacities and employee sets, campaign mechanic fully scriptable which aren't now. But as always... it is time... and motivation issue..

-geever

I would be happy to see that. Honestly all games I played I moded/used mod/many mods.

I can say Im hardcore fan of the original UFO and Laser Squad and this game is closest anyone ever got to the original ufo: atmosphere, feeling, playability, replay value, everything.

Because of all this I wanna play this game, help you any way I can and I wanna make mods.

Mods are very important for a game. Every superb game has great number of mods and this game is superb.
Its no problem for me to lost hours of changing stats, adding new stuff...etc. and then play :D

So please :) make those changes, this game deserves it :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:00:48 pm by NicSO »

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 08:26:19 am »

I doubt you can, at least not without changing the code. E.g. there is a list of all available UFOs for each mission category (see CP_MissionChooseUFO in cp_missions.cpp. The Ripper UFO is in none of those, so it will never appear.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 08:31:26 am »
It would also be great that ufos are flying in formations and protecting other alien crafts.

There are already some basics for that, but it was left unfinished.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 08:43:32 am »
Sorry for spamming :)

If you provide a geoscape model, I think it should be possible to add the Ripper to the game. Then you could mod that. Same for Battleship.