project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Soldier ranks....  (Read 3812 times)

Offline NicSO

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Soldier ranks....
« on: February 03, 2014, 01:36:32 am »
UFO: Enemy Unknown had superb system:

Commander   XCom1 rank6 Commander.GIF Only one allowed over all X-COM Bases, requires at least 30 soldiers in all bases.
Colonel   XCom1 rank5 Colonel.GIF Most experienced Captain is promoted to Colonel if opening present. 1 Colonel for 23 soldiers, limit of 10.
Captain   XCom1 rank4 Captain.GIF Most experienced Sergeant is promoted to Captain if opening present. 1 Captain for 11 soldiers, limit of 22.
Sergeant   XCom1 rank3 Sergeant.GIF Most experienced Squaddie is promoted to Sergeant if opening present. 1 Sergeant for 5 soldiers, limit of 50.
Squaddie   XCom1 rank2 Squaddie.GIF Perform any action that qualifies towards promotion, may not be given with high troop counts.
Rookie   XCom1 rank1 Rookie.GIF Starting rank for all new recruits.

Can anyone help me to understand UFO AI ranking system?

It seems to me Ill soon have all colonels in the bases :D

Offline nanomage

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier ranks....
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:28:28 am »
iirc, ranks are awarded for Mind skill. The higher it ism the higher the ranks, anything else irrelevant. Killing civilians stalls the mind skill and prevents future promotions.

Offline Unisol

• Rookie
  • There's only one way to deal with delicious pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:00:11 pm »
iirc, ranks are awarded for Mind skill. The higher it ism the higher the ranks, anything else irrelevant. Killing civilians stalls the mind skill and prevents future promotions.

Not completely correct. Promotion to next rank happens after a mission if two thresholds are met: Mind stat and enemy kill count. Game also checks(or at least checked last time I researched it) civilian and squadmate kill count - if it's too high, promotion doesn't happen.

No other limitations exist - if you're dedicated enough, you can get an army of colonels. Rank is just a badge though and doesn't influence anything.

TL;DR: take soldier on missions, kill aliens, don't kill friendlies, get ranks.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:34:34 pm by Unisol »

Offline cevaralien

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:13:43 pm »
I like the rank system of XCOM. I think that in ufo AI could be nice. It can boost morale.

It will be implemented in this game? If not, its possible to limit the ranks? I mean, for example, only 1 colonel, 3 mayors...