project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Suppressing fire: For those hard to get aliens  (Read 5456 times)

Offline ferralll

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Suppressing fire: For those hard to get aliens
« on: October 01, 2013, 09:22:25 pm »
New feature.  I am not sure if this is very possible, but I think it could work.

Basically there are some weapons that have a full auto option, that turn out to be pretty much useless because of accuracy. 
I would love to see some other effect of shots like this.

My basic idea is: If a bullet impacts with in a 2 square radius of a combatant, then the combatant looses a small amount (1-2) TU points for the next round. 
That means that you could use snipers, and when they do not hit, they are doing a small amount of TU loss. (Think of it as a flinch reaction eating up precious seconds)

But if you were to go full auto with a weapon, on a partially conciieled opponent, you could (if kept up) render him stuck in place and vulnerable to a flanking manuver. (also it would give the pinned combatant a the choice between reaction fire, shooting, or trying to run, rather than two of the three)

Just an idea... it might be completely unbalanced.  And it might change game play completely.  but it could also add a huge depth to the game play.
Perhaps a better way to do this would be to incoporate it in to the moral system.  where a saving throw vs moral will effect the loss (if any) of TU.

Offline Eegxeta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Suppressing fire: For those hard to get aliens
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 04:16:04 pm »
You've got a really interesting idea here, but I can see it getting out of control really fast. I know where your coming from though I have always saw full-auto as a short range option for use on multiple enemies. I used it once to mow down two tarmen in armor wasn't sure if I was going to be able to kill them so I just filled the hallway with plasma.

Offline ferralll

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 04:56:25 pm »
Yea.  It would not be a simple addition to the game, it would be a marked change to the combat system (changing tactics, the flow of battle, and would require a change to alien AI).

But to expand on my idea of a savings throw vs moral, I figured it would work something like this: TU loss = Floor((Rand(50:100)-Moral)/33)
So a random number from 50 to 100 minus moral (assuming moral average is around 75 or so) and if you score <32 no TU loss, 33<->65 lose 1 TU, <66 lose 2 TU.  calculated for each bullet.

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 06:53:58 pm »
TBH, for me, the potential to be exposed to auto fire is enough for me to keep my troops in cover. Enemy with needler or plasma rifle around? Dont be in the open - Thats supressing my troops, without the need for any built in game mechanic. Granted, the AI doesnt think like that, yet, AFAIK.

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 07:09:22 pm »
Game got a flashbang, which nullifies enemy TUs for a single turn. Why not use it?

Offline theDoom

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 08:11:30 pm »
Flashbang is a short-range solution, and not a very effective one at that (one tile walking to be able to throw around corner, pulling it out of holster, and throwing it is more TU than a single shot with any plasma weapon, which sucks when up against blaster, as one ball is enough to wipe troops.

However, this effect would be too extreme with needlers, and maybe even machine guns. It is one thing to maybe force a heavily armed taman to not be able to aim shot a plasma rifle, or not be able to do a massive spray & pray back with a needler of his own, but when you can just calmly walk a troop out of cover through an effectively stunned alien's FoV, it becomes too much.

I propose a different thing. Every TBD (probably 5+) shots landing within one or two tiles of on actor cause the spread of its weapon to increase by a good amount (~0.7) for one turn. A potential feature to balance this could be if the actor runs several tiles away, this effect is removed.

Offline TallTroll

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 04:11:11 pm »
Flash rounds for the GL would be awesome

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 04:34:09 pm »
Flash rounds for the GL would be awesome

They do exist in real life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x__YiwYdXH8

Flash happened to be between frames, but you can hear that this round is much louder than frags.

Offline Seerorin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 01:02:55 am »
Strange but this would make HMG maybe a capable weapon. Maybe it would be like this: You got enemy bullets fly 2-3(depending on balance) tile away from an actor, for every 2-3(also depending on balance) bullets you could make a save. Based on your willpower(hmm maybe not's that the name... -.-), if you miss you lose 1-2 TU if you fail, if you fail by a lot you even could lose morale(morale is only for humans?). This way it could be only achieved by full auto fire, or multiple actors firing at the unit. Also battle hardened veterans wouldn't really been affected by it(a soldier with a willpower of 80+ shouldn't even flinch from such a thing). This way it could really work in an interesting way. Also certain exceptions should be made. Like for the needler you could make it a separeted count. Also weapons with not real visible effect like lasers would be at a bit of disadventage here. Cause only visible hearable weapons would count. A fizzing a bullet nearby or the fizzing sound of a particle beam/plasma charge could make soldiers and aliens pee their pants alike. Especially if they are fliing by the dosens. This way machine gun should became a long range supression tool. If it balanced well the average TU luss would be less than ten for the HMG. For weapons wich fire more bullets it could be a little better. But they are better at pinning down things. Oh only could work for countuniusly firing weapons. Where the first shot missing/near missing means that no more danger. But with an automatic weapon a hail of bullets fliing towards you. Would be pretty scary. Even if you are an alien. Until you aren't a combat drone wich can't feel fear, or it don't have living instnict you will be susceptible. Trained soldiers not so much, but that what war is all about. It hardens people and aliens alike.

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 10:41:39 am »
Correct me if I am wrong, but shooting at an alien does drop their morale. I have noticed on many occasions that after shooting at an alien from long range with HMG/SMG/Assault rifle and hitting a whole lot of nothing or maybe one or two light wound hits, the alien will panic, or go berserk. I am sure we have all noticed our own soldiers becoming shaken after far too many rounds get sent their way, too.

Offline Seerorin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 11:40:05 am »
Only losing too many health. For our soldiers also dead comrades gives moral damage. If you don't hit them directly and do damage. They can simply walk through anything. When I first met sheevar wich is really resistant to AR fire. That beast simply walked through the fire of two of my soldiers for whole round. He got hit at least 3-4 times. Still he simply got closer and killed one of my man. Didn't really seemed that way he is afraid from my troops firing at him with with rifles.

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 12:52:45 pm »
+1 for suppresson fire
but not to overpower it make full auto less acurate. so this would be really just for suppressing enemies. maybe even prevent reaction fire. so if you flank it with suppression fire you could than shoot it in fron with no fear od RF.

Offline Kaleh

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 12:46:36 pm »
Maybe instead of TU, morale loss (if under heavy fire so they panic-would apply both sides?)