project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: What the heck am I doing wrong?  (Read 2013 times)

Offline kdx7214

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
What the heck am I doing wrong?
« on: November 19, 2013, 12:40:05 am »
I've played pretty much all of the XCom games at one point or another (including Enemy Unknown).   I had played UFO-AI 2.4 before and abandoned it since the campaign wasn't completed.

Remembered UFO-AI last night and downloaded 2.5 and started a game on Standard difficulty.  Played maybe 5 or 6 games and losing each time due to some nation being unhappy.  Decided to try one on Easy so I could figure out how things worked.

In 6 days on Easy I had 72 UFOs.  I kid you not.   I lost half my squad on the first one and basically had to just ignore the others before giving up on the game.   I started a new game on Easy and had 3 nations change to Neutral status on the first day - before I had really done anything.

Is there something wrong with the Easy campaign?  I've yet to be able to get past the first month before losing the game on easy.

I'm also guessing that the difficulty is quite a bit higher on this than on the original games.   Anybody have any links to guides or things that might help me pinpoint what the heck I'm doing wrong?

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What the heck am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 04:13:40 am »
This has been discussed many times before, you might benefit from doing a search in the forums about nation happiness, anyway it basically boils down to: expand your radar and interceptor coverage as quickly as possible and make sure that when you sell an UFO is to the most unhappy nation
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 04:16:50 am by DarkRain »

Offline kdx7214

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 05:07:25 am »
Ahhh, I see.   So 72 UFO's in 6 days is NORMAL for easy mode?   Wow.

My best guess at this point is that the campaign isn't really tested very well - or at least not tested on easy/standard.  But hey, I've wasted about 10 hours on it and have decided it's just not worth the time.    For a game that is supposed to be "like Xcom" it's awfully different.  I didn't expect an exact clone (obviously) but this is just not the game I thought it was.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 03:17:57 pm »
Hmm... I seem to have missed the '72 UFOs in 6 days' part... and no that isn't normal at all for any dificulty