project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Base Design Idea  (Read 3611 times)

Offline braven5

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Base Design Idea
« on: October 30, 2013, 11:18:55 am »
First of all I understand this 'idea' would require a major rework for a somewhat minor change, so naturally it wouldn't a priority, but this idea i had when I used to play original X-Com and still remains a valid idea in this. plenty of times i had to build rooms next to say hangers, but really wish they wasn't acess to those rooms from the hangers

Customised Room Access Tunnels:
Instead of automatically have a tunnel to access every room next to a facility, set it up so each room has only between 1-4 access tunnels customisable by the player, this would mean you can have room that are next to each other, but with no access tunnel, meaning you and the aliens would have to go the long way around to get to the room.

In terms of base function it would have no effect, but in term of base defence it would allow a much more tactical design of clear entry point, clear choke point and ambush points, even in a base that is compleately full

Offline aa_

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Base Design Idea
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 12:16:11 pm »
 good idea.it may also increase the speed at which a nnew base is built up.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 02:24:27 pm »
Yea, it is complicated... It would not only need changing the base building logic, but also the maps which is artwork and I not even sure that RMA could handle those corridor things correctly..

On the other hand it is a bit "cheaty". Of course in real life you could decide where you want a corridor and what to have sealed but from gameplay point of view it would make aliens' job nearly impossible and the base attacks pointless.

-geever

Offline Eegxeta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 02:46:16 pm »
On the other hand it is a bit "cheaty". Of course in real life you could decide where you want a corridor and what to have sealed but from gameplay point of view it would make aliens' job nearly impossible and the base attacks pointless.

-geever

How about instead of the corridor being completely blocked you have some sort of blast door. It wouldn't stop the aliens but it would slow them down. You could also open and close them from the command center and if you get really lucky and an alien stops right where the door is you could crush him with it. You wouldn't be able to close each individual door but rather all the doors to one particular room. Makes it a bit more like a puzzle how can you slow the aliens down without cutting your guys off. The doors could have something like 500 health. Enough to last a few turns of fire. Also you would have to build the doors in sets in the workshop and when you have one you can use it to upgrade a building with doors. You could also research better doors so this is something you could make when you start a new game.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 04:03:46 pm »
Honestly I don't think the baseattacks are that hard we need to make them easier right now. Until the alien AI is improved greatly, I would not add more player helper features to it.

-geever

Offline Eegxeta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 09:53:18 pm »
True but this could be considered for the future.

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 10:31:50 pm »
I'm not sure if it would work or could be done easily but Matix Games had a version of XCOM game that on bases that had unbuilt squares it had a N-S & E-W tunnels for the unoccupied squares. So as long as the buildings had an opening on the 4 sides you'd have a tunnel connecting all the squares of the base building or not. It made for some long missions if an alien got into those tunnels as well as the long LOS w/ no cover other than smoke or hiding around the corners.

Offline aa_

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 11:21:34 pm »
 XCOM: Apocalypse that is.
 I think that the optional coridors are possible, but their introduction will make base defence too easy.

Offline Eegxeta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 12:45:46 am »
Where did tunnels come from?

Offline aa_

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 07:47:04 am »
 IN Xcom:Apocalypse, bases were built in basements of buildings, which already had corridors.

They also had security station, that, if placed correctly, could protect the whole base with minimal defenders.

Offline Eegxeta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 06:37:07 pm »
What I meant was the tunnels don't really seem to relate to anything else said here.