project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Anti-Virus problem trying to download 2.5  (Read 2216 times)

Offline kvetchus

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Anti-Virus problem trying to download 2.5
« on: November 11, 2013, 03:25:46 pm »
Not sure if you're aware, but I tried to download 2.5 the other day, and got this from Symantec's virus scanner.  Not sure what, if anything can be done, but thought I should bring it up in case folks didn't already know.  Probably, this won't be an issue for most people - my company is has pretty tight security settings, but either way, it looks like Symantec has it in for UFO:AI :)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-Virus problem trying to download 2.5
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 11:45:49 pm »
According to some quick research on "Insight network threat":

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6132_102-501695/norton-says-download-has-insite-network-threat/

Someone got the same detection when downloading some game, one that I'm guessing wasn't released by a major commercial publisher (Much like how UFO AI isn't), and simply because the AV company never heard of the game, they automatically flagged it as a problem.

BTW, I've downloaded some builds off this site both before and after the date shown in that pic, I've run scans, and I have not found infections in the installer.  It is safe.  Actually, it's probably more safe than most typical bloated commercial games, many of which still come packed with all kinds of junk, even when the publisher denies it.  I've seen commercial games sold on DVD that have confirmed virus infections, by comparison many of the builds for UFO AI, at least the official releases, are cross-compiled from Linux, last time I checked.

Offline Kemlo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-Virus problem trying to download 2.5
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 12:28:11 am »
please try to use the the browser as administrator...!
NEVER under any circumstances do this !