project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Map sizes?  (Read 4501 times)

Offline braven5

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Map sizes?
« on: October 30, 2013, 12:55:07 am »
I rather new to UFO:AI, tho i was a big fan of the original X-Com, so far for the most part I like what i see in this game bar one thing which feel is somewhat a major thing, the map size is tremendously tiny, and the gunfire on first turn, while my team starts in wide open space and no cover.

With bigger map would least have a chance to move and deploy troops, setup proper tactical plans, formation/flanking postion before engaging the targets, but right now is just pray and hope over tactics.

Granted I still early stages of game, maybe later maps are bigger? but it still don't remove the issues especially early game

Offline GPS51

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Map sizes?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 02:18:53 am »
I can only suggest smoke grenades, I learned to equip 2 (at least) with all troops. The first turn just pop smoke out the door of the dropship and move into it. The aliens will still move towards your units but will not fire due to the smoke. If you can spot the aliens with 1 unit you can fire on the enemy with the rest of the soldiers still hidden by the smoke.

Offline braven5

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 02:39:12 am »
well map i was just on they was no drop ship just all my men sat in open field, no building near and aliens was shooting from cover, thanfully they was a bad shot lol

Offline aa_

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 08:25:40 am »
 Level design has to be improved.

Offline aa_

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 09:32:05 am »
 Maybee something like this?

Offline braven5

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 10:58:32 am »
if something like that was added to some of the Map's, especially smaller ones that would be great and make a huge difference, i just hate how its all luck on the smaller maps because you start in the open and aliens start in cover with LoS before you even make your first move, which is just cruel, especially as you depending little too much on luck and less on skill.

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 12:05:57 pm »
As has been said, sensible use of smoke grenades tip the balance way in your favour, regardless of starting positions. If your troops are all in the dropship, a cloud or two of smoke near the exit(s) allow to to peek out in relative saftey and start the shooting. If spread out, the first thing I always do is drop a few smokes and regroup into teams. The fact that aliens will not shoot into smoke is a little bit gamebreaking, but at least some of them do make suicide rushes into smoke to do some point blank murdering.

Offline aa_

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 11:26:36 pm »
 I think that the gas nade being the only option is not very good, there should be more cover on the maps. I could make it.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 03:02:45 pm »
Maybee something like this?

This pic makes me think you are playing v2.4. If so, you should switch to 2.5-dev.

I think that the gas nade being the only option is not very good, there should be more cover on the maps. I could make it.

Map Revision

Offline aa_

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 08:04:15 am »
 What makes you think so? This is view from UFOradiant form 2.6. (I had some problems compiling the map)

Offline AntJam

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 01:23:42 pm »
I think shipit thought that was an in-game screenshot. Just shows how much difference 2.5 changes made to the overall look compared to 2.4
   Actually I dont mind the occasional difficult start. The AI is pretty unsophisticated still and giving them a helping hand now and then is alright. The smoke grenade is there for exactly this problem bridging the gaps between cover and of course landing a drop ship in a hot LZ should always be a risky endeavour.
    If I was defending I'd be zero'd in on the exit ramps and waiting to pick off the attackers as they emerge.
So although those maps with a cover free murder fest can be annoyingly difficult I wouldnt want them all removed or 'fixed'.

Offline GPS51

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 03:19:49 pm »
I agree, it provides some spice to the missions. I do think that smoke needs to be less OP because I've yet to see a "pop smoke and wait for zergs" strategy to not work yet.

Offline Wolls

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 10:38:53 am »
Are smoke bombs OP'd? Or are they the only option?

Either way, it's not good and still, I have yet to meet the Shevaar who didn't insist on kicking down ma smoke wall; much to my discomfort.

Should the incendiary nades also throw up some lesser kind ( then the pure smoke grenade) of line-of-sight / field-of-view smoke??

Edit:

Is it possible to put out a 3 area cloud on the outside end ( the direction lobbed at) radius of a grenade lob?  That is to say looking at any, grenade that explodes is no good for any of us. 

And while we are damaging the opponent we can also attacking and disrupting their line-of-sight, setting up secondary moves: or in the case of a ill timed nade, obstruct our own field-of-view.. ahh I guess more suited to muiltiplay
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:22:09 am by Wolls »