project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: The Clinic  (Read 8060 times)

Offline AntJam

• Rookie
    • View Profile
The Clinic
« on: October 22, 2013, 05:50:48 pm »
Thought I'd have a go at making a map. I wasnt brave enough to start with a RMA map mainly because I had to teach myself how to use UFORadiant first. 
   The basic concept is a medical research facility with walk in clinic, small observation ward, research library, morgue and secret alien containment facility.

Not sure exactly what extras need to be added/improvements needed so if someone in the know could have a look I'd be grateful.

edit: added revised version
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 06:00:15 pm by AntJam »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: The Clinic
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 06:48:59 pm »
made some screenshots of the map.

do you want us to include it into the game? if yes, you have to release your map under gpl2 or later.

some visual thinks i would change if it would be my map:
* the ground texture should maybe not be the same and not that bright - also the scale is too high in my oppinion
* the 1st floor should have the dirt brushes over the whole map - not just the one room surrounded
* there could be some more lights in the clinic

all in all - thanks a lot for doing a map - please continue with it and give up a more ;)

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 08:47:13 pm »
This looks pretty cool from the pics. I will take a look and give feedback, hopefully I'll find the time for this over the weekend.

As for the RMA, this is really not important. As written here, we are currently more interested in improving and extending the maps we already have. And this map should fit nicely into our urban or village map themes.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 11:07:23 am »
The screenshots look very cool! Sorry, I don't have time to check it out now, but keep going! ShipIt and mattn can answer all the questions you've got and we really need more mappers.

Offline AntJam

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 05:58:35 pm »
I definitely release this map under gpl2 (or later) for use in the game .
    Thanks for the suggestions.
  Extended the dirt layer to cover whole map.
  Ive added some more lights/increased existing lights to the clinic main hall and stairwells.
  Changed the grass texture for a darker one if its still to light I guess I'll have to decrease the daylight intensity.
Definintely having issues with the ground texture/blending in new textures, its pretty flat at the moment so might try some gentle landscaping and see how it goes any advice welcome though. Had a grass texture oversize error when rendering with -quant 3 so left the scaling at .2 for now, are all the maps rendered at -quant 4 in game? if so I'll see about shrinking it.
Updated first post with new version.
  here are some screen shots of changes

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 06:34:52 pm »
i've added the map to our repo now - thanks a lot. I think it will get incorporated into some rma at some point. If you have any updates for the map, please just post them here and i will push them into the repository.

thanks a lot for the map.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 09:24:12 am »
I added a mapdef for this, so the map can be played in Skirmish and Campaign in v2.6-dev now. I still think it should be integrated into some RMA theme at some point (because of the underground level this might be not so easy as I thought in the first place), but it´s certainly good enough to be played as a static map for now.

Great work and thanks for contributing this.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 11:37:42 am »
Had a grass texture oversize error when rendering with -quant 3 so left the scaling at .2 for now, are all the maps rendered at -quant 4 in game?

If I recall correctly (and it's been a while), lower numbers are actually more resource-intensive. You're in effect defining the size of the box to use, so smaller numbers lead to more precision (and prettier shadow lines), longer compile times, and occasional texture errors.

Offline AntJam

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 03:53:07 pm »
Yay!! been playing ufoai since 2.3 feels good to give something back to the game and everyone who works so hard on it.

Probably take a break for a week or so then look again at this map with fresh eyes. Already have ideas for a new static map and hopefully will come up with something for a RMA as well.

Thanks to all the team.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 06:46:49 am »
The only thing I would like to be added is some more opportunities to enter the building. Maybe some fire exit doors at the back side.

And some catwalk between the roofs or between the outer stairs. :)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 11:02:52 am »
ShipIt put some small updates into the map. So please make sure to use the latest revision from the repo available here