project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Is there a way to change the order of your soldier on the roster?  (Read 4696 times)

Offline Eegxeta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
I want to organize the order that the soldiers come so I can do things like group like weapons or separate the team into two squads. It is really annoying having to remember who is on what number especially when rotating soldiers in and out of the dropship team.

Offline TallTroll

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to change the order of your soldier on the roster?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 08:18:44 pm »
I'm pretty sure that is controlled by the internal d/base structure, so probably not. I always rename soldiers to encode info like hit points and weapon / role, then populate the dropship with whatever mix I want for a mission

Offline CarlosMaximus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:24:43 pm »
I don't think you can change the order on the roster, but the order on the dropship is dictated by the order the boxes are ticked.

Offline Eegxeta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 02:34:56 am »
I meant the dropship roster. I ended up figuring it out myself before I read your post, but thanks anyways.

Offline Telok

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 06:59:23 pm »
Try firing them and then re-hiring them in the order that you want. I was fooling with that method before I decided it wasn't worth the hassle to re-up everyone when the second guy in the list died.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 07:40:29 pm »
Try firing them and then re-hiring them in the order that you want. I was fooling with that method before I decided it wasn't worth the hassle to re-up everyone when the second guy in the list died.

You don't need to fire&re-hire them, de-assigning&assigning to the aircraft is enough and since 2.5+ they don't lose their equipment this way.
However I would like to note that this is (ab)using the current implementation of the troop deployment, You are not encouraged to do this and we might change the code without a note!

-geever

Offline CarlosMaximus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 08:19:26 pm »

However I would like to note that this is (ab)using the current implementation of the troop deployment, You are not encouraged to do this and we might change the code without a note!

-geever

Sorry dude, but how is this abuse? I like being able to order my roster so the higher ranks are at the top, that way if I miss seeing who died, I can instantly see if it was an important trooper or a redshirt.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 08:44:49 pm »
I don't think there's any abuse here, having your troops ordered to your liking in the roster can only provide a cosmetic advantage, since AFAIK all maps are using random spawn now, you can't control the order your soldiers spawn

Not that I'll be using this any time soon, since I rotate wounded soldiers de-assigning and re-assigning all the crew after almost every mission would become really annoying really fast.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 08:08:27 am »
Not that I'll be using this any time soon, since I rotate wounded soldiers de-assigning and re-assigning all the crew after almost every mission would become really annoying really fast.

I plan a feature (for 2.6+) to automatically remove a soldier from the roster if (s)he is under a certain HP level (like 20%)

-geever

Offline Eegxeta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 04:17:50 pm »
Nice that would help a lot, though along with that you should add (if it isn't in the game already) a little warning for sending a dropship out that isn't full.

Also do you have any plans on being able to carry equipment in the dropship so if you send it on multiple missions you can switch out weapons to match the map like say for example a sniper for a shotgun.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 07:28:45 pm »
Nice that would help a lot, though along with that you should add (if it isn't in the game already) a little warning for sending a dropship out that isn't full.

The notification system will report if any soldiers were removed from a dropship just returned and say how much there is still there.
I'm also thinking about making the whole thing configurable (if it should remove injured soldiers and maybe at what conditions)

Also do you have any plans on being able to carry equipment in the dropship so if you send it on multiple missions you can switch out weapons to match the map like say for example a sniper for a shotgun.

Yes I do, but it needs the soldier inventory system change which we are a bit afraid of. :)

-geever

Offline Eegxeta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 05:38:52 pm »
What is the change or where can I find the code or where ever it is configured or something. I may not know C but I'm a quick learner and problem solving and critical thinking are two of my strong points.

When I was ten I troubleshot the cd drive on our game computer because it wasn't working I figured out that some how it got uninstalled so I reinstalled it. I also learned that the little red switch on the back desktop power sources lets out the "magic" smoke. Luckily it was a 25 dollar machine I got at the surplus store.

Offline Battlescared

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 12:28:49 am »
Going to come out on the side of the non-exploit.  There isn't a commander in any military that won't order his troops based on the role they are in.  It just makes good tactical sense.  Glad to know there is a way; I would prefer to be able to place them directly in squares in the drop ship.

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 11:06:32 pm »
A drag and drop system (similar to how weapons are equipped) to assign troops to a drop ship is a brilliant idea, but also probably a right pain in the ass to code I would imagine.