project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How do I increase starting money?  (Read 17368 times)

Offline Moon_Dew

• Rookie
    • View Profile
How do I increase starting money?
« on: October 03, 2013, 03:29:30 pm »
First-time poster, recent player.

Like it says on the tin, how do I increase the amount of money I start with?  I know it has something to do with the difficulty coding, but I'm not sure.

Offline Moon_Dew

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: How do I increase starting money?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 06:31:51 pm »
BUMP

Okay, I think I know what to do to modify the code, the only problem is I don't know how to unpack the ufo files.  How does one unpack a PK3 file?

Offline AntJam

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 07:06:39 pm »
I believe they are just zip files 7zip opens them fine, or try renaming to .zip

Offline Moon_Dew

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 07:26:16 pm »
I believe they are just zip files 7zip opens them fine, or try renaming to .zip

I don't know how to rename the files, and everytime I try to download 7zip I get a bunch of crap browser add-ons and no 7zip.

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 09:24:02 pm »
You need WinRar.

Offline Moon_Dew

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 09:34:31 pm »
You need WinRar.

I got WinRar...now what?

Offline Moon_Dew

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 11:18:15 pm »
BUMP

WinRar doesn't work.  Will someone either tell me how to unpack it manually, the name of an unpacking program, or how to rename the file?

Found a file that seems to work so far, it's called PakScape.

EDIT

Okay, now I have access to the code.  How do I change the code in order to give me more starting money, and how do I get the code to work?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:53:20 pm by Moon_Dew »

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 02:35:46 am »
Wait, you mean you don't know how to rename files in your system? (I'd assume that right-click ==> rename would work almost anywhere you can run the game on)
No offence, but, are you sure you up for the slightly more complex task of modding the game?

Anyway, you'll have to learn the UFO-Scripts specifically campaign.ufo
(Hint: search for 'credits', and pay attention to which campaign are you making changes to)

Offline Moon_Dew

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 07:10:06 pm »
I'm not really sure what you mean by "rename", do you mean change it from PK3 to Zip, or to literally change the name?

Oh, and I meant to say this earlier, but I'm using the Win32 release of v2.4.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 01:35:30 am »
In fact, in order to change a file's extension (in this case pk3 to zip) you need to rename the file -- of course windows systems have the tendency to hide the file extension from you, but usually only for known file types, I don't think that pk3 would be a known file type in most systems (btw not knowing what type of file you are opening is a security risk)

That aside, did you find the campaign.ufo file among the extracted files? And were you able to make the desired modifications?

Offline Moon_Dew

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 02:24:46 pm »
In fact, in order to change a file's extension (in this case pk3 to zip) you need to rename the file -- of course windows systems have the tendency to hide the file extension from you, but usually only for known file types, I don't think that pk3 would be a known file type in most systems (btw not knowing what type of file you are opening is a security risk)

That aside, did you find the campaign.ufo file among the extracted files? And were you able to make the desired modifications?

I found them, and, using PakScape, I was able to make the modifications...but they didn't work.  The game still worked, but it was still the plain vanilla version instead of the modded version.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 03:34:56 pm »
Some things come to mind
1. If you extracted the file check that the it is in the right directory (*.ufo files must be in a directory called 'ufos' within the 'base' directory, see the link above about ufo scripts)
2. if you added the modified file back to the pk3 check that it was added correctly
3. Double check that you modded the right campaign? (If you mod the 'standard' campaign and then chose the very 'easy one' for your game you won't see any difference oc)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 07:43:58 pm by DarkRain »

Offline Moon_Dew

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 05:47:43 pm »
I don't even know how to extract it!  WinZip isn't working, WinRar isn't working, 7zip isn't working, PakScape doesn't seem to work, and I can't even rename the file!

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 08:05:06 pm »

Sorry, but there's only so much we can do to help you if you don't even know how to rename a file, even if the file extension is for some reason hidden when you try to rename the file, a quick Google search for "show file extension windows <insert version here>" would have given you literally thousands of pages that explain step by step how to disable that "feature", allowing you to change the file's extension while renaming it, so... really?

But since I'm feeling helpful today: here, that's a link to the original campaign.ufo in our repository, get it, make your changes, put it in the directory that I mentioned before (you'll probably have to create the 'ufos' directory, I really hope you can figure how to do that yourself), that should be enough for what you want.

Offline Moon_Dew

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 08:36:56 pm »
I probably do know how, but just to be sure, you mean making a new folder, right?

EDIT

Okay, I'm getting some bull-crap about permissions and what not.  I don't really know what to do here since I really, really don't like messing with options like that (my computer's buggy enough as is, you know.)  How do I get the permissions I need?

Oh, and guys, thanks for being patient with me so far.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 08:41:02 pm by Moon_Dew »