project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Clean up/cover up and determining how quickly aliens equip better stuff  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Eegxeta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Your job is not only to stop the aliens but to keep people from finding out about them as while. You would do this through a on or off-site facility tasked with keeping the aliens and your soldiers off the internet, off the news, keep witnesses from talking. Also maybe having a branch of the tech tree going into tapping into the alien's communications. This would do two things make the nations like you more(because their people aren't panicking), and keep the aliens from finding out about you for longer. One other part might be letting people find out about you it might lower panic level, but wouldn't make the nations happy and would also increase the likely hood of you getting attacked. Sooner or later the aliens will find you, but you can make it later rather than sooner. Another thing this could impact is how quickly the aliens start equipping better stuff. This would definitely add a whole new level of gameplay that would fit nicely into the game. Plus I also think it would be really cool to get to see a newscast about how your soldiers kick some alien butt and saved the day. Maybe have like a witness talking about how awesome your guys are or some pictures of your soldiers(not screenshots maybe a bunch of stock location generic pictures). Something along those lines.

How quickly aliens equip better stuff should be determined by how consistently active you are if you go and shoot down every UFO you see they will see something is up and start throwing the big guns in faster. Again sooner or later the aliens will start using better stuff, because they don't want to keep losing ships and whatnot. This is kind of going on the assumption that while the nations aren't equipped to deal with the aliens they aren't totally helpless ether. So someone is bound get lucky and shoot down or manage kill the crew of a landed UFO at some point. At the beginning of the game you are only slightly better equipped than everyone else. It would add more randomness to the game by throwing in more crashed and landed UFO missions to the globe. So the aliens would be expecting some casualties. The opening scene where it talks about the first UFO attack it sounds like the aliens landed a small army there because no matter how much better stuff they have five guys can't beat one hundred, unless your playing CoD.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:25:14 pm by Eegxeta »

Offline CarlosMaximus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Clean up/cover up and determining how quickly aliens equip better stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:25:09 am »
... five guys can't beat one hundred, unless your playing CoD.

Dude, you need to read about Bravo Two Zero, an SAS patrol from the First Gulf War.

Offline Eegxeta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 05:33:50 pm »
Ok I looked it up and I didn't see anything about them being in a fight where they were vastly out numbered and they won the fight by killing all the bad guys.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 05:48:00 pm by Eegxeta »

Offline MonkeyHead

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 08:51:44 pm »
IIRC, the devs are keen on avoiding any "consipracy theory" plot elements. I for one support them in this.

Offline CarlosMaximus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 08:45:53 am »
@Monkeyhead: Yeah, I agree, would just cause unneccessary complications, imo.

@Eegxeta: In his book, Andy Mcnab (leader of the SAS patrol) estimates they caused 250 casualties over a 3-night period. My point was that if eight men can do that with conventional weapons, imagine what five aliens, with vastly superior tech and the element of surprise, would be able to do.

Offline Eegxeta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 04:23:44 pm »
@CarlosMaximus: 250 casualties, wow that seems like something that is significant enough that it should be mentioned on any site that has info about it. Still it isn't like they were facing them all at once or within a short period of time, which is what I was thinking of. Doesn't make it any less impressive.

@MonkeyHead: That doesn't stop them from doing the newscasts. They could have it be mail so you don't have to watch or read it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:06:25 pm by Eegxeta »

Offline Eegxeta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 05:06:33 pm »
Anyway what did everyone think of my ideas on how the aliens equip better stuff. Again I have to say this is going on assumption that the nations aren't totally helpless and that you don't always find out about every attack . If a UFO lands somewhere and you don't see it land on radar, unless it is in a big city or other important location, it could go unnoticed. I also think it would make sense that you would at some point encounter NPC soldiers that count as friendlies instead of civilians so if they die while fighting the nations don't get mad unlike civilians who is the defendy instead of the defender.

It all came about because the aliens equip better stuff at a certain time and because I'm not exactly that great at this game I'm not prepared for them to start using particle weapons so I get stuck with the aliens able to one shot my soldiers and only a few of my weapons do any significant amounts of damage.

That reminds me do civilians do their best to run away as far as they can from the aliens or do they still run towards them and get shot or run around the closest corner and then the alien take three steps and shoots them.

Offline CarlosMaximus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 07:33:10 pm »
Hmmm, dunno how easy it would be to implement, needs a dev look. As to the civvies, AFAIK they run away from any aliens they can see, and try to group together if no aliens are in sight. Don't take that as gospel though, that's just based on observation and, IIRC, one of the tips of the day.

Offline Eegxeta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 10:39:44 pm »
Ah that makes sense as to why they would run and hide around a corner even though the alien would only need to take a few steps to shoot at them.