project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: List of bugs/annoyances/notes  (Read 1853 times)

harrym

List of bugs/annoyances/notes
« on: November 22, 2006, 06:35:06 am »
Hi

Here is a list of bugs/annoyances/notes. Version "UFO: Alien Invasion 2.1-dev2 i386 Nov 22 2006 Linux".

Sound
-------
Sound (music) gets cracky when switching from world-view to tactical view (and back). If the sound rate is just touched (for example 44KHz => 22KHz => 44KHz), the static goes away, until next switch of view. Whatever the rate is, music has small stops in tactical view at aliens or civilians turns.

In RC5 the sound works very nicely at 48Khz, no static and no stops. In 2.1 48Khz has static all the time, 44KHz is max I can use in 2.1.

I'm using SDL for sound. The other ones do not work or work only occasionally.

Skills
------
Skills grow over 100, and after that there is no description. Also the skill bar grows over the box.

CL_GetSkillString: Skill is bigger than max allowed skill value
CL_GetSkillString: Unknown skill: 102 (index: 10)
CL_GetSkillString: Skill is bigger than max allowed skill value
CL_GetSkillString: Unknown skill: 102 (index: 10)

Base attack
-------------
I think it's a bit illogical that if the base attacked has dropship with crew, they are not at the base combat (entered from Base attack-choice, clicking the base) if you don't take off with the dropship and assign it to the same base. The soldiers should be there without this (if the dropship is in).

At the base map, there are few spots at the corridors that are not walkable (and I believe this has been reported already). But when you go to the top level (above ground), the empty space between entrance/hangars is not walkable either. Haven't had the chance to test you can shoot through it. As it is open space, one should be able to walk on it.

Hiring soldiers and soldier stats
------------------------------------
Being not able to hire new soldiers (until what? what does it depend on?) is quite annoying and makes harder levels almost unplayable, unless you retry missions whenever you lose soldiers - and that's not how it should be.

Also, after a while your new hired soldiers seem to be having about the same kind of stats that your existing (and more experienced) soldiers. This kind of takes away the "rookie" status of the new soldiers, which imho was quite essential in original UFO.

So this sums up: I'd rather be able to hire poorly skilled rookies when needed, and try to get them more experience, than going to battle against 10 aliens with 2 godlike-everything soldiers, since I can't hire more ...

Miscellaneous
----------------
-On the beach hotel map, characters standing next to the 45 degree wall (at the bottom left corner of the building - seen from the sea) looks like it is "embedded" in the wall.

-Line of sight shows blocking (turns red) when aiming over a corpse (that really doesn't block)

-Sometimes killed aliens or your own soldiers just vanish, without leaving a corpse or stuff carried. Haven't found any rule when this happens.

-Listing the needed libraries (and dev-packets for compiling) might be helpful. (For example I found out that as from today the svn-version needed freealut-dev to compile.). If this information is somewhere (and I'm being blind), please disregard this.

-What is the promotion of soldiers based on? Have had a character promoted that really in my sense isn't the most experinced or anyhow superior to others.

-At the weapons listing (buy/sell equipment- and produce-views) there are two "Riot shotguns". They differ in looks and stats.

So that's my list so far. Keep up the good work.