project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: security camera usage in base defense  (Read 12488 times)

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
security camera usage in base defense
« on: August 05, 2013, 11:48:16 pm »
I had a previous version of 2.5 that had the working security cameras in the base defense mission but in the version I have now (downloaded a couple of weeks ago) that doesn't seem to be the case. I know there was some talk of changing how the cameras operated but don't remember seeing/reading if that has happened yet. Are the cameras on base defense missions now disabled alltogether or is it now changed where you have to have a soldier placed somewhere in front of a console to have them work (the change I've seen mentioned some time ago)?

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: security camera usage in base defense
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 08:58:22 am »
Placing a soldier in the control center will give you access to the cameras.

Offline Wolls

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 10:45:02 am »

I don't think i ever had functioning cameras on a base Defense .. ever.. so if I put a guy there (control centre)  and nothing happens... greatest April 1st or what??

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 12:08:15 pm »
Do the cameras only work if your guy is in that one small room in the corner? That would explain why I thought it was broken!

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 12:18:15 pm »
yes, you have to be in the room (at least last time i checked) - that's the trigger area.

Offline Wolls

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 02:29:13 pm »
The control center is still a spawn point for your soldiers though right, so you don't have to actually move to it??

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 03:43:11 pm »
The control center is still a spawn point for your soldiers though right, so you don't have to actually move to it??
Yes, it is one of several. You'll have to make sure you've moved into the small room though.

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 08:16:02 pm »

Ok thanks, that's what I was missing

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 08:16:51 pm »
Maybe there is some confusion about the naming. The Command Centre is a base building, while the Camera Control Centre is a room within the Command Centre.

I was hoping the binky winky screens would be enough of a hint for the players. Unfortunately they only work in Skirmish mode, not on a baseattack mission in the campaign.

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 11:25:48 pm »
Probably why it was missed  :-[ Is there some way to edit the text on the mission briefing window for those missions like base defense or the fuel dump mission where there's something special that has to be done?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 12:55:45 am »
Probably why it was missed  :-[ Is there some way to edit the text on the mission briefing window for those missions like base defense or the fuel dump mission where there's something special that has to be done?
Good idea! I added a note to the base attack briefing. The fuel dump mission already includes a note about finding the bomb.

Offline Battlescared

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 02:49:39 am »
Maybe there is some confusion about the naming. The Command Centre is a base building, while the Camera Control Centre is a room within the Command Centre.

I was hoping the binky winky screens would be enough of a hint for the players. Unfortunately they only work in Skirmish mode, not on a baseattack mission in the campaign.

They work in base attacks.  I hate leaving a soldier in there though instead of out fighting. 

I found out by reading the hint on the opening screen.  I think a confusing part is that there are multiple screens on desks in the control center.  Took me a bit to figure out it was just the little room.

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 05:58:31 am »
Only downside to that is losing the one guy but at least you've got up to 11 more to work with. I wouldn't have guessed the small room either as I was moving them to the console on the other side of the main room & the chart just outside that room.

HHour - how about this wording instead - "Security cameras placed around the base will help you track their locations with a soldier posted inside the camera room of the Command Centre."

Offline NicSO

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 05:19:11 pm »
You can even use camera room on other maps like that parking building map. YOu enter underground, go for the room and use cameras :)

Offline NicSO

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 09:06:51 pm »
I tried to use camera room in that garage map but without success. YOu can blow the door but cameras/screens are NOT WORKING :(

Is this rule in 100% cases?